Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have gotten good advice from here in the past so here I go again. I need to put some air in my shocks. The manuall says to raise the back tire off the ground and remove the saddle bags. I think I can fit my air chuck in the space there is. Any suggestions????or advice??? I need to put some air in them due to going to the dark side. I appreciate the responses.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
OK. I have gotten good advice from here in the past so here I go again. I need to put some air in my shocks. The manuall says to raise the back tire off the ground and remove the saddle bags. I think I can fit my air chuck in the space there is. Any suggestions????or advice??? I need to put some air in them due to going to the dark side. I appreciate the responses.
I don't see a reason to raise tire so I don't. Just make sure you get it the same on both sides. Do NOT use a air source with high presure. It takes such a small amount of air to get 10 lbs. You can damage the shock by going over 40. Use an electric tire pump if you have one. And to bleed it out is just as senitive. I rode 700 miles yesterday with no presure and CT, seemed fine to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2011 Voyager and I used to race mountain bicycles. The shock pump for the mountain bike fork and rear shock works great at putting air in the Voyagers shocks. The pump is made by Fox and has a pressure guage on it as well as a special schrader valve that will not let out any air from the shock when you remove it. You can still adjust the pressure with the pump handle or the pressure release valve while it is attached to the shock. Just google mountain bike shock pump and you will find several different kinds and they are very reasonable in price. My brother lives on Hilltop road in Van Alstyne :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
as davidsheek stated, DON'T USED COMPRESSED AIR on your shocks, you could damage them... I purchased a "shock pump" specifically for this purpose from the local HD dealer, paid 45 bucks and keep it with my tools in one of the saddlebags on my Nomad...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
as davidsheek stated, DON'T USED COMPRESSED AIR on your shocks, you could damage them... I purchased a "shock pump" specifically for this purpose from the local HD dealer, paid 45 bucks and keep it with my tools in one of the saddlebags on my Nomad...
bingo! this is the tiket. my hardley 'lectra has/had the same air shox. manifold 'tween them keeps them equal. volume is minimal. you need this tool.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
:good:
II rode 700 miles yesterday with no presure and CT, seemed fine to me.
sheek'str,, jes lookin at yor avatar. you got a ridding buddy w/a monkey? an them shortz really show the stems.. 'tis the bes part of gettin old. "dont give a dam" wat otters think.. :good: ponchout

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. It just seemed the bike bounced around a little more and the better half said it was a rougher ride. I will have to go buy a pump.

CanyonBiker does your brother ride? If so, let me know. Looking at starting a GOC chapter here.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
:good:

sheek'str,, jes lookin at yor avatar. you got a ridding buddy w/a monkey? an them shortz really show the stems.. 'tis the bes part of gettin old. "dont give a dam" wat otters think.. :good: ponchout
Yeah, I was just taking my grandkids for a ride around the block. Always give my grandkids a ride when they come to see grandpa & mimi. You're right Ponch I don't care much at what I look like anymore, just want to enjoy the time I have left with my family and my bike. Know what I mean??:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. It just seemed the bike bounced around a little more and the better half said it was a rougher ride. I will have to go buy a pump.

CanyonBiker does your brother ride? If so, let me know. Looking at starting a GOC chapter here.

Thanks
FWIW, consider jacking the bike up and doing it right. Uneven air in the suspension could possibly cause unwanted handling problems. No need to cause problems for yourself.

·
Registered
644 Posts
FWIW, consider jacking the bike up and doing it right. Uneven air in the suspension could possibly cause unwanted handling problems. No need to cause problems for yourself.
Not always possible if you need to adjust while on the road. I haven't jacked mine up and it's been fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ok, tested, I use a bicycle pump with integrated pressure dial. If you are not raising the bike, at least make sure it is level. the left shock will be a little more compressed (a tiny bit) then the right shock if you leave the bike on the stand while doing this work. I think kawasaki, or other company, offers a pump you can integrate on the bike, so you can add or release pressure on the go (if you want to go fancy). Anyways, on the stand the left shock will get a tiny bit less volume of air (at same pressure as the right shock), resulting in lower pressure on the left, when you put your bike straight. Best recommendation? Do it as the guys who make the 6 figure salary and designed the system tells you to, I have learned this the hard way. Good luck! :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
can't believe Kaw or even you guys would let Hardley out do you. Put a simple manifold between the two shox. hardley uses a piece of 3/16" plastic hose with sealed fittings. this manifold has a T in it and they put the air fill valve in a more convenient location to get at w/your pump. how difficult can this fix be? 1:beer: ponchout

·
Registered
644 Posts
Scorpo...I understand your idea but the left shock won't compress unless the right one does. The swingarm will not let one side move unless the other side moves. It's one piece. If the swingarm flexes and there is any compression of the left shock, the amount will be so minute, you couldn't even tell.

I've adjusted the air in both my shocks while on the kickstand. Went back and checked a week later and they are both the same as I did earlier. I even checked them while on a floor jack.

·
Registered
644 Posts
can't believe Kaw or even you guys would let Hardley out do you. Put a simple manifold between the two shox. hardley uses a piece of 3/16" plastic hose with sealed fittings. this manifold has a T in it and they put the air fill valve in a more convenient location to get at w/your pump. how difficult can this fix be? 1:beer: ponchout
I agree with you. I think someone did do this mod to their VV. Shouldn't be hard to do. We're only dealing with 43 PSI max.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The different. On mine was 1.5 lbs or so.

Sent from a mobile device with a keyboard that sucks, pardon misspelled words..

·
Registered
286 Posts
The different. On mine was 1.5 lbs or so.

It’ hell to send from a mobile using your left hand so when can operate the throttle with the right hand in order to pass on a jam-packed expressway with a keyboard that sucks. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had cruise control on... lol

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Brucer is right. They are going to work as one. Just put some air in them and go. But I decided to leave them at O for my trip up here. Felt just fine. Think I'll put some in for trip back. Just to see.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I agree with you. I think someone did do this mod to their VV. Shouldn't be hard to do. We're only dealing with 43 PSI max.
would think that this "sub-assembly" parts would be available from/at any hardley store. the shraeder valves on yor shox are same as hardley and could just screw this config together. how much moola could this cost? 'sides it bein a hardley item?

·
Registered
88 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts