Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I started riding 3 years ago, with a Vulcan 750 which I loved, but it died on me so I moved up to a 2011 900 Classic LT. It's a great bike, but I miss the tach from the 750!! Just seems weird not having one.

I'd love to see some examples of what others have done out there if they've added a tach, and maybe a volt meter also?? I see that 900's also have stator issues, and I've you've owned a 750, you know what a nightmare that can be on that back... Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Like you I missed having a tach. Here's a picture taken about 2 years ago. I need to reroute the wire. I'll get around to it eventually. It's an inexpensive tach and I made the single fire adaptor, everything works great.
From what I understand the 2009 and up models don't have stator issues. 20,000km and no issues yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I have a Bikers Choice - 72769, 1 1/2 inch size, black face, with blue back light, also did the 'single fire' diode. Tapped into the license plate light for power. It is nice, looks good, but still 'seems' to have a lot of vibration sometimes in the 3 k range. Much less expensive that OEM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[quoteBandit;1702866]Cobra has one of the best tachometers on the market for your bike.Rock steady needle,no bounce whatsoever.[/quote]

I agree with that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for the tips... Where does it connect to at the engine?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. Twist tach power and light wires together and connect them to red wire on coil.
2. Other connections depend on if your tach need single fire adapter, or not.

·
Registered
698 Posts
VN900 is single fire so needs an adaptor in most cases. I think the Cobra tacho doesn't need adaptor? The tacho will have 4 wires - power, light, ground, coil. Power & light go to a switched power source (I used tail light). Ground goes to ground. Coil wire goes to coil or adaptor depending on your tacho. An adaptor also needs to be wired in with the coil if required. Coils are behind the chrome code piece on left side under tank. It's all pretty easy really as the coil connectors are just piggy-back slide on and the other can use those snap on connectors.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Correct,the Cobra Tachometer is made specifically for the bike and does not need an adapter.The Barons Tachometer needs the adapter and has needle bounce.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Power & light go to a switched power source (I used tail light). .
Why go to the tail light wire when you have a switched power source in the red wire at the coil and you are going there with other wires anyways? Also, if one should use the "park" function on the key switch, it will make the tach live when it need not be.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why go to the tail light wire when you have a switched power source in the red wire at the coil and you are going there with other wires anyways? Also, if one should use the "park" function on the key switch, it will make the tach live when it need not be.
Can't say I've ever used the park function. It was quite busy around the coils with wires & adaptor so I chose a different spot that was easy to access (under the seat). Makes no difference - whatever suits you & works is the idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts