Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of adding a second brake light to my Vulcan
This additional brake light would have something similar to the "Back Off" light modular to make it flash.

I am looking for ideas on how/where to mount this extra brake light. What I am looking at so far is the "Stopper" brake light that attached to the license plate.

Just wondering if anyone had a different suggestion

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have three red LED lights on each side of my license plate that pulse when the brakes are applied then go steady red. Makes a huge difference to me - love it. The lights are small but they are bright!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have three red LED lights on each side of my license plate that pulse when the brakes are applied then go steady red. Makes a huge difference to me - love it. The lights are small but they are bright!
How are they attached? Are the built into a license plate frame, or do they attach to the license plate mounting holes?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check Hyperlites. I have seen them in action and they are really bright. I have installed a LED bulb in place of the stock brake/running light bulb. This bulb is from Superbrightleds company. It has a flasher built into the bulb that flashes 3 times then goes steady on when brakes are applied. Unlike most LEDs this light is brighter than the stock bulb. I got the bulb for under $22 shipped to the house and it has a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have installed a LED bulb in place of the stock brake/running light bulb. This bulb is from Superbrightleds company. It has a flasher built into the bulb that flashes 3 times then goes steady on when brakes are applied.
+1 on dabimf comments above. I have this same bulb from Superbrightleds. It is very bright, catches ones attention with the 3 flash-steady burn (after a minute continuos on)-3 flash again. Plus much lower Electric draw which is great as far as the electrical/charging systems goes for this bike. And it is "plug and play".

I have seen the mini led head bolts that replace the license plate bolts. Run a wire from the brake light down and split to these. They are pretty bright for thier size. You can find some different options for this just by playing around on ebay.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on dabimf comments above. I have this same bulb from Superbrightleds. It is very bright, catches ones attention with the 3 flash-steady burn (after a minute continuos on)-3 flash again. Plus much lower Electric draw which is great as far as the electrical/charging systems goes for this bike. And it is "plug and play".

I have seen the mini led head bolts that replace the license plate bolts. Run a wire from the brake light down and split to these. They are pretty bright for thier size. You can find some different options for this just by playing around on ebay.
I can't find the bulb you guys are talking about, can you possibly post a link

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the link!!
So this is a direct replacement for the stock bulb?
Yep, twist your existing out and twist this replace bulb in. It's maybe a 5 minute job, 4 1/2 minutes taking the tail light lens off. Check this link out:

He is using a clear lens cover with a red bulb. LED manufacters recommend you use the red lens with a red bulb, or the color isn't as good (red) and bright. As bright as his is mine is noticebly brighter with the factory red lens. You can kind of see in the day light part how his tail light is a little "orange". With a red lens it is bright red.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone know if the superbrightled replacement bulbs will work in the stock turn signals and if so any special wiring needed as with some after market led kits?

Sorry for going off topic but if I am going to order that incredible flasher bulb why not replace the turn signal bulbs...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, twist your existing out and twist this replace bulb in. It's maybe a 5 minute job, 4 1/2 minutes taking the tail light lens off. Check this link out:

He is using a clear lens cover with a red bulb. LED manufacters recommend you use the red lens with a red bulb, or the color isn't as good (red) and bright. As bright as his is mine is noticebly brighter with the factory red lens. You can kind of see in the day light part how his tail light is a little "orange". With a red lens it is bright red.
Thanks, I will be ordering on today!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered my LED bulb

For those of you thinking about ordering the site does accept Pay-Pal, which is always a plus for me.

And I found a 10% coupon code: Pirate14
Good through 7/31/14

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know if the superbrightled replacement bulbs will work in the stock turn signals and if so any special wiring needed as with some aftermarket led kits?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Yes they will work, just make sure they fit length wise. Most will fit, but some of the "high Power", or tower type led bulbs will not. On Superbrightleds search 1156 (the tail light/brake light bulbs 1157, there is already a link posted for it on the first page) and you see your options. When you click on a bulb you will see a picture to the left, under it is a side by side picture you can select of the LED bulb you have selected with a side-by-side comparison with a regular 1156 bulb, which should give you an idea of whether it will fit.

One other note, since the LED draws very little load, your factory turn signal flasher will not work properly when you swap to LED bulbs. It will flash really fast, since it is sensing "no load" (since the LED load is so low the factory flasher is tricked into thinking the regular bulb(s) are blown, this results into it going onto the "fast" blink mode to alert you a bulb is out). You will need to also buy a "LED Flasher" from Superbrightleds. I used this one ($9):

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/lf1-s-pin-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/841/

I cut the wire ends off the relay and squeezed/taped the correct prongs on the led flasher wire ends so I could just plug it into my 900 without changing my 900 wiring. So no real wiring needed, just unplug your existing flasher relay and plug in the LED flasher and you are good to go. The led flasher will work properly with regular bulbs too if you decide to swap back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ordered my LED bulb

For those of you thinking about ordering the site does accept Pay-Pal, which is always a plus for me.

And I found a 10% coupon code: Pirate14
Good through 7/31/14
I think you'll really like it, and.....You'll get yours cheaper than I did mine!! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts

Checked their site and need help with bulb part number if you recall. Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just installed a smoke rear tail light I got from ebay, but after seeing this bulb, I think I am going to order it and just swop out lens covers on my factory light so I can use this bulb. Thanks for the tip on the bulb, off to the garage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My bulb arrived today as well! Very visible when the brake is applied, I can't imagine anyone not seeing me now!

Highly recommend getting one. The $20 invested is the best money I have spent on the bike. I have been rear ended at a traffic light before which resulted in needing ACL reconstruction of the left knee. This brake light bulb may have prevented that.

:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts