Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding a cigarette lighter port on my 900 - going straight to the battery - and I'm wondering if I should put a fuse in one of the leads? If so, what size fuse would I use? I'm planning on using the socket to charge a cell phone, intercom, and gps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kuryakyn Universal Electric Power Point

I just bought the power point from Kuryakyn and put it on my VN900D to power my GPS. It installed in 15 minutes and looks great. Pricey at $60USD but well worth it so far. I cut and paste the text from the website for you below. The link to the site is below that.

Kuryakyn KY-1423
Perfect for plugging in your cell phone, iPod, air pump, or any other electrical devices taken on the road. This power point/cigarette lighter will keep them charged. Built into our silver bullet light housing, this beauty mounts on 1 inch handlebars or on any 1 inch bar and comes with everything you need to connect directly to your battery with a quick disconnect.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_id=36&Category_ID=5&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=26911

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies - most helpful! That Kuryakyn pod is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll be putting in an order. By the way, in the one picture on the link you posted, there is this little item shown:

image_26911_1.jpg

What is that? A USB port insert by chance? That'd be great.

Kerry

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the replies - most helpful! That Kuryakyn pod is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll be putting in an order. By the way, in the one picture on the link you posted, there is this little item shown:

View attachment 6719

What is that? A USB port insert by chance? That'd be great.

Kerry
Sadly no. That is a cigarette lighter. I have this same unit on my bike. The only thing to remember is that if you go straight to the battery remember that it will stay "hot" even when the key is off. So if you leave something plugged in it can drain your battery.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

I just bought the power point from Kuryakyn and put it on my VN900D to power my GPS. It installed in 15 minutes and looks great. Pricey at $60USD but well worth it so far. I cut and paste the text from the website for you below. The link to the site is below that.

Kuryakyn KY-1423
Perfect for plugging in your cell phone, iPod, air pump, or any other electrical devices taken on the road. This power point/cigarette lighter will keep them charged. Built into our silver bullet light housing, this beauty mounts on 1 inch handlebars or on any 1 inch bar and comes with everything you need to connect directly to your battery with a quick disconnect.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_id=36&Category_ID=5&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=26911
I have 2 of these on my classic, a real easy install ... and i do mean easy, in line fuse, direct to the battery, ran the wires under the tank, works like a charm. Two thumbs up.

BTW ... i have never flattened a battery yet, 1 for my gps, 1 for my phone.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Sadly no. That is a cigarette lighter. I have this same unit on my bike. The only thing to remember is that if you go straight to the battery remember that it will stay "hot" even when the key is off. So if you leave something plugged in it can drain your battery.
As stated, it is a cig lighter ... but wait ... at most major truck stops, you can get a cig / adapter USB port. Try the Pilot / TA /Loves or Flying J truck stops. From memory the the price is some where around $10 to $20.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doh! A cigarette lighter! Never even crossed my mind! Can you tell I've never smoked, LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts