Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Picked up the Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggers, a K&N filter, and the V&H FuelPak. Took 3-4 hours to put it all together, and the hardest part IMHO was getting the damned battery tray back in. Didn't need to remove the tank to install the fuelpak wiring, just removed the two bolts and lifted it enough to get my hands in to unplug the injectors and reach the throttle position sensor wire.

Much louder than I expected, but I love it. Acceleration is smooth and vastly improved over stock. At idle there's a nice low 'wubwubwub' but any more RPM's than idle and everyone's gonna hear it coming.

Waiting to see what this does to my gas mileage, from what I've read I can expect to lose 5-6mpg, but honestly this combo of upgrades have made this bike even more fun than it already was.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Bad ass... looks great...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Love that color scheme and those V&H pipes. Nice looking bike.

I had considered the black twin slash staggereds but ultimately went with some Roadburner 3" Drag Pros for a beefier look. Laying on the throttle puts me into the "obnoxiously loud Harley" category.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple of exhaust notes... (see what I did there?)

These things make my ears ring after a long ride. I picked up the quiet baffles, I just need to do some more research on how to get them in there. After removing the stock ones the fiberglass kept bunching up. Maybe trim it a bit and add some WD40 to the metal? I'm getting used to the sound tho so maybe I'll just hold off on the quiet baffles for the time being.

The V&H FuelPak only supports up to the 2011 model year Vulcan 900 Custom (DK's website said it was compatible). I get an occasional misfire since installing it, and V&H support just fed me the company line on supporting the 2012 mapping (they do not). I wonder what the difference is - if any - between the 2011 and 2012 models.

Overall the performance of the bike has been drastically improved across the rev range. Depending on how I ride it, just tooling around I get maybe 45mpg, and if I spend most of the time at highway speeds or just riding it like I stole it, it drops to about 42... prior to the upgrades I got 50mpg+.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
bike looks amazing. That color combo is saaaaweet. Congrats on all the mods. It'll be a helluva a lot of fun to ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts

These things make my ears ring after a long ride. I picked up the quiet baffles, I just need to do some more research on how to get them in there. After removing the stock ones the fiberglass kept bunching up. Maybe trim it a bit and add some WD40 to the metal? I'm getting used to the sound tho so maybe I'll just hold off on the quiet baffles for the time being.
The quiet baffles were a bit of a pain in the ass to get in, just make sure the fiberglass is taped up real tight and spin the baffle slowly while inserting

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice, your really holding her back with that stock air cleaner though. 10-12 more ponies just waiting for you sir!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eventually I'll get a new cleaner altogether, but for like $50 the K&N seems to have done the trick for now. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice, your really holding her back with that stock air cleaner though. 10-12 more ponies just waiting for you sir!
10-12 ponies!? That's a 20% gain on the stock 52hp. Is this true?

What make? A Barons?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Very nice looking ride you got there. I'm loving that color!

·
Registered
143 Posts

What make? A Barons?
Oh sure its true..........in fantasy land:) Or if you trade it in on a new Vaquero.... At best, you would be lucky for an overall boost between 5-8 hp at the rear wheel with pipes tuner and a less restrictive air filter. You can check out all the VN900 dyno runs over at Kawasaki.org. The Vulcan motor is a very efficient design and it is really difficult to squeeze much more hp out of it over stock. Lets face it, most owners change pipes for the sound and air cleaners just for a more customized look.

·
Registered
529 Posts

What make? A Barons?
Oh sure its true..........in fantasy land
Or if you trade it in on a new Vaquero.... At best, you would be lucky for an overall boost between 5-8 hp at the rear wheel with pipes tuner and a less restrictive air filter. You can check out all the VN900 dyno runs over at Kawasaki.org. The Vulcan motor is a very efficient design and it is really difficult to squeeze much more hp out of it over stock. Lets face it, most owners change pipes for the sound and air cleaners just for a more customized look.
Wrong, I will throw down 60hp minimum at the rear wheel corrected sae scale all day long. Stock the bike is in the 40s at the rear wheel. Most of that comes from derestricting the air cleaner which provides 7-10hp all by itself.

Also LBV, the bike is not 52hp stock. That might be the crankshaft rating but that will be the last time you ever get a measurement from there. When were talking about numbers we need to talk about rear wheel horsepower. That's the only thing that is measureable to the consumer. Peak HP numbers is also misleading unless someone can show the dyno curve to go along with it. A strong curve beats a high peak number all day long. Let me give you an example.

Honda CBR1000rr

BMW S1000rr

These are two top superbikes. The Honda will outrun the BMW all day long at speeds south of 120mph. Above 120, the BMW pulls away. Why is that? The BMW is rated 30hp more than the Honda. Well its because that's the peak power at a specific place in the RPMs of that bike. If you look at the dyno curve the Honda is much stronger through 80% of the rev range. Dyno's are like x-rays. Not everyone can just look at the numbers and tell you the real story. You need a doctor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wrong, I will throw down 60hp minimum at the rear wheel corrected sae scale all day long. Stock the bike is in the 40s at the rear wheel. Most of that comes from derestricting the air cleaner which provides 7-10hp all by itself.

Also LBV, the bike is not 52hp stock. That might be the crankshaft rating but that will be the last time you ever get a measurement from there. When were talking about numbers we need to talk about rear wheel horsepower. That's the only thing that is measureable to the consumer. Peak HP numbers is also misleading unless someone can show the dyno curve to go along with it. A strong curve beats a high peak number all day long. Let me give you an example.

Honda CBR1000rr

BMW S1000rr

These are two top superbikes. The Honda will outrun the BMW all day long at speeds south of 120mph. Above 120, the BMW pulls away. Why is that? The BMW is rated 30hp more than the Honda. Well its because that's the peak power at a specific place in the RPMs of that bike. If you look at the dyno curve the Honda is much stronger through 80% of the rev range. Dyno's are like x-rays. Not everyone can just look at the numbers and tell you the real story. You need a doctor.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.........
show us your proof...... otherwise, I call BS..........

·
Registered
529 Posts
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.........
show us your proof...... otherwise, I call BS..........

So just to clarify, what is it exactly I need to prove?

That my bike can show 60hp on a dyno? Personally I feel that proves nothing because one happy dyno on a good day can be 10hp off. So even if I proved that so what... Will do it if you would like.

Adding a BAK gives you 7-10hp over stock? There is a post on that I think I can find again where this has been proven.

Or that I can get a 20% gain over stock with the big 3? That has been proven many times. I didn't bookmark the posts, but I can go back, search, and link to them here if you would like.

Or am I missing it? Be glad to help however I can. I try to back up my statements with facts whenever possible, and I will stand corrected if you can prove me wrong.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

The V&H FuelPak only supports up to the 2011 model year Vulcan 900 Custom (DK's website said it was compatible). I get an occasional misfire since installing it, and V&H support just fed me the company line on supporting the 2012 mapping (they do not). I wonder what the difference is - if any - between the 2011 and 2012 models.

Overall the performance of the bike has been drastically improved across the rev range. Depending on how I ride it, just tooling around I get maybe 45mpg, and if I spend most of the time at highway speeds or just riding it like I stole it, it drops to about 42... prior to the upgrades I got 50mpg+.
Tape the bejeesus out of the fiberglas on the baffles with clear packing tape. Get it as tight as humanly possible. And then lube the bejeesus out of the tape.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Tape the bejeesus out of the fiberglas on the baffles with clear packing tape. Get it as tight as humanly possible. And then lube the bejeesus out of the tape.
Little baby bejeesus! FYI I just added bejeesus to my PC's dictionary.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Little baby bejeesus! FYI I just added bejeesus to my PC's dictionary.
I haven't heard bejeesus in 30 years! Oh it takes me back lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts