Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've already searched the VN1600 thread for this issue to NO avail.

So I've noticed (it started maybe 2 weeks ago), that when I ride my VN1600 classic and after he reaches his operating temp., when I shut him (I'm a female, so I refer to my bike as a "HIM") down to get gas or whatever, and then start him back up it sounds as if he's running out of gas and he will shut back down If I don't give him a bit of throttle (like maybe 3 nice twist of throttle), and then he's fine. This has NEVER happened prior, so it's new to me.

When I initially start him up ( for the first ride), he's fine, NO issues what so ever!

I do monitor my charging system with a volt meter thingy I have attached to my battery. So, when I start him up the meter NEVER drops below 10.5.

Meaning when I press the start button the meter will read (quickly) 10.5 or 11 and then shoot up to 14.4 or 14.5.

What can this be? Why is it that when I turn the bike off when he's up to operating temp, and then turn him back on he sounds like he's running out of gas then shuts back down? The tank is FULL when this happens. He won't shut down if I give him a bit of gas tho? As I stated prior this is a NEW ISSUE for me. I've become "VERY" fearful to turn him off due to this issue, bc I do NOT want it to become worse.

Bike info:
Date purchased Feb of 2018 from dealer.

2006 VN1600 Classic

36K miles

has V/H pipes W/dyno jet power commander 3 (when I purchased the bike it came this way already)

I ONLY USE PREMIUM GAS (gas with out ethanol) , and I keep him full.

VERY "RELIGIOUS" when it comes to the maintenance on him. He goes in on the 29th to have is Neck barrings greased for the season.

Hopefully this is enough info.

PLEASE HELP ME!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try cleaning the throttle body, then add a whole can of Seafoam to the fuel tank.
Ok, thank you very much! Have you ever used seafoam in your bike before? My mechanic said it is bad for it, well that was when I had VN750 that one was carbureted tho, my 1600 is EFI.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i put a whole can of Seafoam in my tank at every oil change. I also add a can at 2500 miles or half way between oil changes. I have used that stuff for a lot of years, in everything ,my truck, wife's suv, lawnmower, and my Vulcan 1700 Classic LT. Great stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Waste of money. I never use the stuff in anything (although I have tried it with no results) and everything works just fine over, many, many years.

·
Registered
697 Posts
How old is the battery??
That quick drop to 11 volts or less might indicate your at the end of the batteries life.
A load test would help to determine that or if the battery is 3 years or older its time for a new one anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you top odd the gas all the way?
There is a tank vent that can be clogged if theres too much gas.
I had a mud dauber move into the vent one year, bike acted like it was out of gas unless I left the gas cap off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You sir, must be the one,that think it does not work. MANY thousands of folks know that it does work,when used properly, for the job intended.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How old is the battery??
That quick drop to 11 volts or less might indicate your at the end of the batteries life.
A load test would help to determine that or if the battery is 3 years or older its time for a new one anyway.
It's a brand new battery. If you were to put a "voltmeter" on your battery, and then turn the key to the on position (while watching the Voltmeter), the numbers are going to fluctuate. So when I turn the key to on, the voltmeter fluctuates a bit Example: off the charger the battery normally reads 13.0-13.1, so when I turn my key to the on position it goes down to 12.7 and then when I hit the start button it goes to 10.5 (NEVER below) to 11.0. It does this Extremely quickly! Your eyes literally have to be glued to the meter to notice this quick drop. I've been told that it is normal, but if it drops below 10.5 then there maybe an issue with the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you top odd the gas all the way?
There is a tank vent that can be clogged if theres too much gas.
I had a mud dauber move into the vent one year, bike acted like it was out of gas unless I left the gas cap off.
Omg, like I do! I fill it up when on the kick stand, and then I mount the bike then hold it straight up and continue to fill It to the brim. Good to know! Like I did NOT know that was a bad ideal until now!
Thanks for the info!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts