Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's a rainy day here in central Kentucky and I get up, look at my cage, then gear up and ride the Vulcan to work. Being looked at like a lunatic (or a simpleton).
I can't be the only one here who loves to ride so much that I look at rain or cold as just weather that I shouldn't be punished for by driving my truck.
Anyone else have similar experiences with this?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Yeah. I got some odd looks and "you're crazy" comments on days I rode to work when it was less than 15° F (or less than 40° F, for that matter). Or on days I rode hundreds of miles on the highway in steady rain to get where I needed to go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You are not alone

Nine years ago due to some economic hardships I had to decide cage vs bike , the bike won, so for the past nine years I've been riding my bike to work everyday , and although the weather over here is mild in the winter , it never snows or go below 2ºC /36ºF , during the rainy season we get our fair share of precipitation, so if it's raining I don't have an option but to suit up, so far no regrets and enjoying everyday , and yes I get the weird looks and also the coments "doesn't it bother you when it rains , how can you stand it, etc, etc". Happy to know I'm not an isolated case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
quite insane

I would also be in this category, I usually have to start my truck up on occasion just to keep the battery up and I will try to drive it to the store sometimes so the tires don't dry rot. I work for Cooper Tire and I get an employee discount on tires but they last so long because they don't get used.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To financially justify the purchase of my first bike (difference of gas bill between car and bike) in 1980, I rode it almost every day for 2 years in southeast PA. Only time I didn't ride it was when there was snow on the ground when I left home. Yes, I did ride home in the snow sometimes (yes, I was that stubborn/stupid).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get the "you're insane" comments not so much for riding in bad weather, but for just riding a bike in general. A few coworkers of mine always feel the need to share with me the latest news whenever they hear about a motorcyclist who was killed or injured in an accident. They don't share the same enthusiasm when I mention all of the car accidents that I saw or heard about on the way in to work.

Respect to you MisterG for not being a fair weather rider, which I myself have been guilty of from time to time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would commute more on my bikes, but I just can't get over the horrible drivers here. It's gotten so bad that unless it's beautiful out and I haven't ridden in a while, I'm taking my truck.

Say what you will, but foul or hot weather mixed with bad drivers equals no bike for me.

Good on you for riding though!

-John

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guess I am also certifiably insane...

The day the Dr gave me clearance to go back to work, I hopped on the same bike and went for a ride. I now use that same bike for my daily commute to my new full-time job, and my part-time/sometimes job at the cycle shop (more along the lines of "as often as I can get there").

Here in FL, we don't see snow, but liquid sunshine is quite frequent. Just today, it rained on my way to work, and on the way home. Such is life. But of course, it was nice and sunny (and muggy) all day at work...

Being recently off the bench, money has been tight, and to be honest, the bike is the only vehicle I have with a valid tag right now. A couple good paychecks and I'll get my insurance and renew my tags for my truck and van, but even then, I'll be primarily riding the bike.

Generally for me, it's got to be heavy winds or temps 40 and under with rain, or some other serious weather issues to keep me from riding.

Of course, that doesn't count the days I end up carrying stuff too big to safely carry on the bike, but that's another situation entirely...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't mind suiting up when it's cold, but if I know it will be pouring rain all day I'll take the cage. I just don't like the way my bike handles wet roads, had a couple scary incidents. Having said that, I did ride in the pouring rain from Pittsburgh to Bristol, TN., one day. Good rain suit, kept nice and dry - except for my chin. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Below 40° or Pouring Down Rain; but then again I work nightshift and ride in the dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
For thirty years all I had was a bike From 1970 to 2000. Had to ride in all kinds of weather from hail to hurricanes, saw tornadoes, rode in the snow and almost zero degrees temps. Sick or well. Dr. had a fit when I rode up on the bike with my leg in a cast with my crutches tied on the bike. Once it was lighting so bad I could smell the ozone in the air. Pulled into a gas real fast.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dr. had a fit when I rode up on the bike with my leg in a cast with my crutches tied on the bike.
Haha!

When I was down after breaking my leg, I still managed to ride once or twice. My father came over and helped stabilize the bike while I climbed on from the high side (wrong side). Then he held my crutches while I took off and went for a ride. It was only around the block a couple times, but it was a ride, and that was what counted. The when I pulled back into my driveway he helped get the kickstand set and helped hold the bike again while I climbed off.

After I graduated to a cane from the crutches, I made a couple short runs to the corner store on the bike by strapping on my backpack then kinda tying the cane to the backpack. I got a few odd looks pulling off the cane, then climbing off the bike, and finally limping into the store.

On a side note, it was my left leg I broke, and to this day I can't really mount/dismount well from the "correct" side. 2 surgeries, and ended up with 2 plates and 9 screws just below my knee. I still have some pain every step, but it's getting better.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts