Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking for an unswitched and/or switched accessory power wire near the battery but couldn't find one. I used a wired light to check for power but nada. I just need to install 4 LED strips w/ its own on/off switch. Can anyone tell me where to find it (wire color etc)? Thanks. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I tried looking for an unswitched and/or switched accessory power wire near the battery but couldn't find one. I used a wired light to check for power but nada. I just need to install 4 LED strips w/ its own on/off switch. Can anyone tell me where to find it (wire color etc)? Thanks. :confused:
If you are looking for a wire connection that's hot when the ignition is off then you're out of luck. The accessory connector is under the seat in front of the tool box/battery. There's a black/yellow and a white/blue wire going to an open plug connector. There's another one in the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a group of 4 yellow/white wires going to an open plug/connector. Also, I saw a single yellow/white wire going somewhere. If it's the 4 plugs, w/c one do I tap into? Will it go live only after the engine starts? If not, can I connect straight to the battery as this is only an LED accessory? Or not advisable? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I saw a group of 4 yellow/white wires going to an open plug/connector. Also, I saw a single yellow/white wire going somewhere. If it's the 4 plugs, w/c one do I tap into? Will it go live only after the engine starts? If not, can I connect straight to the battery as this is only an LED accessory? Or not advisable? Thanks.
The accessory plug is only a two pin connector and perhaps it was used already by the previous owner assuming you are not the original owner. Coming off the battery is safe provided you add an inline fuse to protect the wires. A 10a fuse would work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the fuse; now would it be safer to connect the negative to the battery or to a suitable ground? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have the fuse; now would it be safer to connect the negative to the battery or to a suitable ground? Thanks again.
A suitable frame ground is probably better than the battery post for only one reason. The battery posts are made of a soft material and the connections tend to loosen rather quickly. Don't fix the ground wire to the swing arm or the front fork. Use the main frame only if you decide to go that way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for answering. Also, should I install a relay to protect the bike's wiring or is it unnecessary? I am just installing some LED lights. I'm assuming a relay would only be needed if it's a fan or horn (or something similar that draws more power) I'm installing. Is this a correct assumption?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for answering. Also, should I install a relay to protect the bike's wiring or is it unnecessary? I am just installing some LED lights. I'm assuming a relay would only be needed if it's a fan or horn (or something similar that draws more power) I'm installing. Is this a correct assumption?
Correct, the current draw of LED's are minimal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts