Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my vn900 is stock as can be. its the classic model. thank you in advance for reading my thread.

i was recently riding it around at night and the output of the headlight was good enough for me as compared to my r1 which has dual low beam hids. i might be putting hids in the vn900 but i dont know yet. what i was thinking of getting a light bar. i looked at a few light bars and saw that they have a sealed beam. if you have a light bar, is yours a sealed beam too? also im not 100% sure on what that means but i am guessing that i just cant replace the bulb?
so first question: are all light bars sealed beam? and what does sealed beam mean?​

now onto the next. i want to get a wind shield but also want those batwing fairings (not sure what they are called) something like this

with that will i be able to run a light bar? and also if you dont prefer that then what do you recommend?
so my next question is: what is your batwings/wind shield setup? and do you run a light bar?​

i think those are my too questions right now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You got it right, it's called a batwing fairing. Memphis Shades makes one that is essentially a big extended windshield but you can also get them with radio and/or GPS already installed from Tsukayu and other companies. Whiting57 has a nicely done LT with a Memphis Shades batwing and a lightbar (Cobra, I believe) so if you look at some of his pictures you can get a better idea. Here's a post he made a while back showing the lightbar up close and a link to other pictures.

I have the MS batwing with 9" windshield but no light bar. Since the question always comes up, here's what I've posted about it height wise in the past. "If you measure straight up from 65 on the speedometer bezel to the top of the windshield, a 9" shield sits at about 16". The rake and height of the fairing itself are slightly adjustable, probably moreso for a Custom but for a Classic the headlight limits how far back/down the fairing will go." I don't know how much research you've done on them, but the wind deflectors shown in your picture that aren't in mine are $30 and the tri-pouch that I have is about $90.

You know what they say about pictures so here are a couple of the MS batwing from different angles. Let me know if you want to see more. I have a lot more and there are several other people here with fairings and we all like to show them off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
since no one answered it for you, a sealed beam light is when the whole lense and light is one piece. you change the whole thing, instead like a car where you just change the small bulb.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats kawboy. i thought thats what it would mean.

do you or anybody know of anything non sealed beams? i want to replace the bulbs rather than the whole fixture.

if that isnt possible i was thinking about buying like mountable projectors and either attaching them above the stock turn signal bar or to like the highway bar (which i also want to get)

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you kept the stock headlight, you have to use a sealed beam light. the only way to not have to use one would be to change the headlight assembly. i was thinking about doing this myself, putting a couple of 4 inchers side-by-side.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Lighting assemblies that aren't sealed beam (i.e. the bulb plugs into the back of the assembly and can be changed without changing the lens) are called "composite" lights, so you might try a search for that. Never really looked into light bars, but it seems odd to me that there wouldn't be some available with composite light assemblies. Only question then would be whether the 9's electrical system could generate enough juice for your HIDs. Don't wanna tax that stator...it's probably the bike's only real weak point.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lighting assemblies that aren't sealed beam (i.e. the bulb plugs into the back of the assembly and can be changed without changing the lens) are called "composite" lights, so you might try a search for that. Never really looked into light bars, but it seems odd to me that there wouldn't be some available with composite light assemblies. Only question then would be whether the 9's electrical system could generate enough juice for your HIDs. Don't wanna tax that stator...it's probably the bike's only real weak point.
thanks for that search tip. will look into it.

but i dont believe that the electrical system will get harmed.
what type of bulb do most light bars use? 55w? 35w?
the only concern with hids is the initial starting power which is very large. but i can simply make that less of a problem by running a relay harness and adding a switch. so that way i can start the bike up and then after the bike is started, i can run the hids. that way it doesnt put too much load all at once. and if i do run a light bar i most likely will put the stock headlight on a switch and just use that when i am only doing night time riding. im not worried about the actual electrical part because there are a lot of ways to solve that problem.

The Cobra light bar uses replaceable H3 25W Halogen lamp bulbs.

hmm interesting. 25w isnt really going for my purpose because i want the best lighting out of them. 25w is only going to serve as a indicator rather than an actual headlight. and also when i looked at the cobra it stated that i was a sealed beam. but ill look into it again. thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wattage is not a true indicator of lamp brightness...luminance is where it's at! Wattage is how much power the lamp uses. Luminance is, simply put, how much light is emitted.
The 25W lamps are plenty bright. I dare say they are brighter than the low beam headlamp. When properly aligned, they really light up the road. Plus, they won't overtax the electrical system. The electrical system on the 900 is only designed to handle up to 70W extra draw, so all of your electrical accessories should not total more than 70W.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i know wattage is not used to indicate light out put. i have compared 25w to both 35w and 55w. all of the same brand and all in the same housing. the 35w was the best but the 55w was super bright. too bright for that housing. hids use less power than halogens. its just the initial starting that requires a lot of power.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a company that makes an LED system that uses 3 high powered LEDs for each light and they have a regulator that is mounted on the bars along with a switch. You can actually adjust the power with the regulator as you ride which is awesome. They really lay down some light which is the important part....

·
Registered
372 Posts
you got a link to that? ive seen good led ones. but never on a light bar. only on custom mounted fogs or something
I'll have to pull the link off my laptop when I get home tomorrow or late tonight. I knew I should have brought it with me.... but I didn't want to put another bag in the car... lol.

They are meant to mount to "their brackets" but the easily mount to light bars as well. One of the guys I ride with got a set for his bike and they are bright as can be! They light up everything and then some at full power, better than the highbeam.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the light bar on...they are pretty bright.

hmm looks good. but honestly i dont want the yellow color. i want some white/blue looks. at least xenons.

I'll have to pull the link off my laptop when I get home tomorrow or late tonight. I knew I should have brought it with me.... but I didn't want to put another bag in the car... lol.

They are meant to mount to "their brackets" but the easily mount to light bars as well. One of the guys I ride with got a set for his bike and they are bright as can be! They light up everything and then some at full power, better than the highbeam.
thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
if you kept the stock headlight, you have to use a sealed beam light. the only way to not have to use one would be to change the headlight assembly. i was thinking about doing this myself, putting a couple of 4 inchers side-by-side.
Unless i'm reading this wrong you are saying the stock Headlight bulb in the Kaw 900 series is a sealed beam which is incorrect. The factory headlight is a shell with an H4 replacable bulb. There are several Hi output H4 bulbs that are direct replacements. PIAA makes several different units and you can actually buy a Hi output H4 replacement at your local Harley dealer for about $20.00. Be aware that some of the Hi output bulbs sold at automotive parts shops will give you more light but also draw more current and produce more heat than the stock bulb. The Harley H4 gives considerably more light but draws no more current than the stock bulb. This is achieved by using different internal gas configurations in the bulb itself. I believe most of the PIAA line is the same. The bulbs are rated as high as 80/100 Watts equivalent output but draw the same amount of current as the stock 55/60 Watt bulb. RIDE SAFE

1 - 20 of 30 Posts