Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these 2 connectors under the seat besides the battery.
they are for 12V accessories?
looking for a simple solution for cell phone charger and it will be the only accessory I need
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive lighting

Hand Automotive lighting Finger Fluid Nail

·
Registered
390 Posts
I hooked up a lighter outlet directly to the battery (fused of course) for my accessories and my battery tender.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
thank you, I bught a simialar product. so as long as it has a switch, it won't drain the battery? Does it matter which one is positive?
Yes to both. The switch will kill the draw so it will not drain the battery. Of the two accessory wires, one is positive and one is ground. Use a multi-meter to check which is which, unless you have a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't leave any accessories on the bike when it's not running (too easy to get stolen)

I used the Dorman Weatherproof Outlet.
I hooked up directly to the battery basically so I can easily plug in my tender.
Thank you, that looks nice. how did you mount the outlet? 3M tape and zip tie? I guss if you disconnect the tender, it won't drain the battery? maybe I should do the same thing since I winterize the bike for 6 months a year

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thank you, that looks nice. how did you mount the outlet? 3M tape and zip tie? I guss if you disconnect the tender, it won't drain the battery? maybe I should do the same thing since I winterize the bike for 6 months a year
As long as there's nothing plugged in it, it can't drain the battery.

I wired up my tender with a male lighter plug similar to THIS. Just need to remember that this plug is always powered.

I made a 90° bracket for it and used an existing bolt to mount. I then riveted the outlet to the bracket. It's waterproof when closed, not in direct wind and it's pitched slightly down, so if some water does find it's way it, it will drain.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Green Motor vehicle

Reactions: FrostyNuggets

·
Registered
390 Posts
thanks. never splice a wire before but I will look into it
Be careful splicing wires, especially on a motorcycle. Water intrusion is a major concern along with vibration.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
254 Posts
Cable Wire Jewellery Electrical wiring Eye glass accessory

This came with a little smart trickle charger I bought. Would I be able to connect it to my battery, run it out from under the seat, and be able to plug my charger into it without removing the seat and getting to the battery? Similar to what Ricksza has done with his? Would it have any adverse effects while not plugged in? Sorry to piggyback on the thread. Just didn’t want to start a whole new one when the folks following this one probably have my answer. This cold is not nice! Thanks Vulcaners!

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan 900 Custom
20 Posts
This came with a little smart trickle charger I bought. Would I be able to connect it to my battery, run it out from under the seat, and be able to plug my charger into it without removing the seat and getting to the battery? Similar to what Ricksza has done with his? Would it have any adverse effects while not plugged in? Sorry to piggyback on the thread. Just didn’t want to start a whole new one when the folks following this one probably have my answer. This cold is not nice! Thanks Vulcaners!
You should be able to reach it out without having to remove the seat. You might need to zip tie it in place to keep it from whipping around in the wind depending on where you terminate it and how much slack there is. Shouldn't be any adverse effects on the battery unless somehow your wire shorts out to another metal part - keep the cap on the end and you should be fine.

I left mine coiled under the seat tho. Unless you're going several weeks between rides and/or taking frequent short rides that wouldn't fully recharge the battery, you shouldn't really need to hook it up during rhe prime rising season. I just pop the seat and hook mine up once the weather turns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts