Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I put air (and measure psi) in the custom tires, it is a fiddly and painful exercise and I am getting Jack of it.

The valve stems move around, not easy to gain access to the rear stem (only a small arc space available).

What do you guys do, change to make this task less painful?

Romper

· Registered
155 Posts
Road gremlins! This is only one of the jokes they like to play on riders, called "Hide the valve stems." They do it when you walk near the bike carrying your riding gear. A gremlin bell might help... a gremlin bell might not help too.

Seriously, the last time I installed a new rear tire and tube, I reversed the tube, so the stem is accessible from the right side, and I don't have to crawl on the ground on the low side. This gives me a good arc of easy access to the rear stem if you've been riding, avoid the mufflers. Approach the bike from the right and look for both front and rear stems; if either is accessible, take care of it before you do anything else. Moving the bike a couple of feet will expose at least one stem, take care of it then move the bike a couple more feet the same direction and look again. This takes less me time than typing this message took me.

Good luck,
Grandpa

· Registered
227 Posts
Yep!
I'll be very happy to have a couple of those!
I guess they can be found on Ebay.
How do you fit them on?

Thanks

G.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Yep!
I'll be very happy to have a couple of those!
I guess they can be found on Ebay.
How do you fit them on?

Thanks

G.
I don't buy things like that on Ebay . . . I found them at my local motorcycle supply store (they do ship!). J&P Cycles also carries them here.

They're mounted in place of your current valve stems. So, you'll have the shop put them in (unless you're the fixy-type of guy that mounts your own tires and such).

· Registered
227 Posts
How about those?
They seem to screw on top of the actual valve...

Attachments

· Registered
1,430 Posts
How about those?
They seem to screw on top of the actual valve...
That might work just fine! I would thing that it might be just another link to fail. But, report back if you try them. Some folks might be looking to go that easier route. Well, I'm sure that lots of people are looking to go that easier route. LOL!

· Registered
164 Posts
Romper, if it's any consolation, I too share your pain. I also felt it a PITA to put air in my Custom,s tires. The front was OK, but the rear I had to get in just the perfect position, reach in by the belt guard, and get on the valve stem. Of course, it would always try to move side to side and fight me. Then I'd get to fight it again when I'd have to get a good reading on the air gauge. The Nomad isn't any better. On it you have two brake disks on the front to get around. It's doable, but I agree, there should be an easier way! :mad:

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HRH_Z -

Do those hard stems move at all when you insert the air valve to pump air inside?

Also - I have a tubed stock rear tire in atm.

If i went to tubeless, how would the valve stem setup differ (if at all)?

Romper

· Registered
155 Posts
When I rode a Voyager (1984 model) I carried what was then a standard inflation tool that most truck stops had, with a double head angled about 30 degrees from the main stem. It looked a lot like most truck tire gauges of the time. I attached a straight inlet to the main stem, and found it to be clumsy, but usable in every situation I encountered, even the cursed straight fitting that didn't fit any vehicle I ever drove.

The problem isn't new, but I have learned to live with it,
Grandpa

· Registered
1,430 Posts
HRH_Z -

Do those hard stems move at all when you insert the air valve to pump air inside?

Also - I have a tubed stock rear tire in atm.

If i went to tubeless, how would the valve stem setup differ (if at all)?

Romper
They don't move any more than regular valve stems. And. I'm not sure how tubeless tires would affect it - might be beyond my knowledge level. When it comes to tires, I just bring my bike to the boy at the counter, and tell him I need tires. LOL!

· Registered
2,862 Posts
https://www.denniskirk.com/49345.sku?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse

This is what I put on my rear wheel (Custom) last tire change. Rock solid when you go to put air in or read it. The OEM actually let air out every time you pushed on it. It would flex so much that it leaked around the base. I ended up with a tube in my front tire (long, stupid story) and the one they put in uses a short, rigid stem. I put the plastic cap that came with the tube on the rear since you can't see it. And I put the nice chromed steel cap from the angled stem on the front where it blends nicely with the mag wheel. Win win.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

Any others can respond to my question "If i went to tubeless, how would the valve stem setup differ (if at all)"?

I am just thinking of going tubeless tire and want to know what stem to acquire (if any)?

ROmper

· Registered
2,862 Posts
Thanks guys.

Any others can respond to my question "If i went to tubeless, how would the valve stem setup differ (if at all)"?

I am just thinking of going tubeless tire and want to know what stem to acquire (if any)?

ROmper
Romper, in your original post it looks like you're saying that you have a Custom. Those tires are tubless. Did I read that wrong?

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, i got screwed by the bike shop who did a service and a RWC, and stated I needed a new rear tire. I asked them to replace with whatever the stock OEM tire should be. Instead they put on a tubed rear tire - obviously the only tire they could locate that no-one else wanted...I only discovered this 3 weeks after I received the bike back and put air into the tires...they were also dishonest about a few other things....so no-more return business from me that's for sure!

I am the second owner of this bike.

Romper

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.