Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals...I have a 2010 VN1700 classic and lost the back brake. It went solid on the pedal. Have taken it to my local Kawasaki dealer who diagnosed it as needing the master cylinder overhauled. They have had the bike 4 weeks now saying they are having trouble getting the “ABS to purge” and can’t bleed the brakes. This morning they inform me the ABS module is faulty and the are $2500 AU. Also say they have had someone from Kawasaki look at it and they say they have never had trouble with one before. Any experience out there that can help me? Cheers Ahab

·
Registered
662 Posts
I can find nothing online (Total Motorcycle or Ron Ayers parts fiche) to suggest that your '10 1700 Classic has ever been available fitted with ABS, Ahab... They don't have an ABS module.

So ask your dealer some more questions about what part is actually faulty, and report back?

·
Registered
154 Posts
2010 def had ABS available. https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010-Kawasaki-Vulcan1700VoyagerABS

I don't know anything about ABS but $2500 is just obscene for a part. Doubt if a dealer would put on a used part but were it me, I'd buy a used one off Ebay like this (If this is the part in question) and take it to a competent motorcycle mechanic and have it fixed. $149. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-1700-VN1700-VOYAGER-ABS-ABS-PUMP-UNIT-MODULE/401452305699?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=53366&meid=4c8f559fbdb54641b119934f7effed0e&pid=100507&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=401452305699&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

Good luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Back in 2006 I replaced the ABS controller on my 94 BMW R1100RS myself (I'm a self taught home mechanic). I found a working used controller on ebay. When I installed it on my bike I pre-filled the ABS controller with brake fluid before I attached the hard tubes and hoses. I also pre-filled the tubes and hoses as much as I could before connecting everything. I installed SpeedBleeders at the calipers and was able to bleed the system with no issues.

It fired right up but the ABS light stayed on because the bike computer did not recognize the replacement ABS controller. So I rode the bike to my local BMW dealer and told the service manager what I had done, asked him to initialize the replacement ABS controller to the bike. That done, codes cleared, and the ABS has worked fine since then.

So the ABS system on your Vulcan may have to be flushed/filled in similar manner. It can be done.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I assume they mean they can't get the air out of the ABS unit, is that what they're saying? If not, what exactly do they mean? How are they trying to bleed the rear brake? Are they trying at the ABS unit? No reason to do it there, just bleed them like any other non ABS brakes. Are there any ABS codes stored, if so, what are they?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts