Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to throw in the towel on the EJK. Bike is making good power and great fuel economy but in stop and go traffic when the Vaq really heats up, the popping has me annoyed. My buddy was riding behind me and said he can see the spark when the exhaust pops on decel. I have pretty much decided to get a PCV and try and tune out the pop altogether. I have David Sheeks map which many have had success. Until I get the scratch together to have RacnRay tune it proper on the Dyno. Sucks because I really like the easy of use of the EJK. :(

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've never been a believer of anything you have to adjust the air/fuel mixture manually, it's pretty much impossible to get it right. The PVC is the way to go and if your gonna have Ray tune it, the bike and you will be so much happier + you might find your bike will run a little cooler.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been a believer of anything you have to adjust the air/fuel mixture manually, it's pretty much impossible to get it right. The PVC is the way to go and if your gonna have Ray tune it, the bike and you will be so much happier + you might find your bike will run a little cooler.
Its running way cooler since I installed the BAK. It just gets hot in heavy stop and go traffic. Dont think the PCV will make a difference on temps in that scenario. But adding fuel at 0% throttle will eliminate 99% of all decel pop when the bike is hot. At least that is my belief. Then Ray can tweak max power out of the old girl. :D

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
KEN...Hook up a switch to turn the fan on BEFORE the ECU does. I was in real bad stop n go traffic Monday, I could feel the heat comin off the pavement. I finally said..."yea, it's getting hot"!

I had my switch on most of the time, the temp needle barely got past halfway. it really is a godsend down here this time of the year.

I gotta go to the dentist shortly so when I come back i'll search for the info on the what/where to hook one up.

It helps tremendously.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
851 Posts
I talked to Ray on the phone when I was gonna have my PCV dyno tuned and Ray differently knows his shit when it come to dynoing it the way it should be. I don't know what map you already have from David but I have Best map so far, Best map revised for frank and E80s map if your interested in trying them I can send you what you don't have.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KEN...Hook up a switch to turn the fan on BEFORE the ECU does. I was in real bad stop n go traffic Monday, I could feel the heat comin off the pavement. I finally said..."yea, it's getting hot"!

I had my switch on most of the time, the temp needle barely got past halfway. it really is a godsend down here this time of the year.

I gotta go to the dentist shortly so when I come back i'll search for the info on the what/where to hook one up.

It helps tremendously.

RACNRAY
Not so much concerned about the heat Ray. The nature of the beast and living in S. Florida. I just want to rid the bike of the popping on decel at 2100 rpm. I did not hear your bike or Steve's bike pop once. Granted the bikes were runing cool since we were on open road.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to Ray on the phone when I was gonna have my PCV dyno tuned and Ray differently knows his shit when it come to dynoing it the way it should be. I don't know what map you already have from David but I have Best map so far, Best map revised for frank and E80s map if your interested in trying them I can send you what you don't have.
That would be awesome. Thanks man.

Email [email protected]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Would really be interested in your results after the change to the PCV. I'm using the Gman myself and have been debating on getting the PCV later on, but dont know of a good dyno shop near by, and as Ray has said before, it should be tuned where you ride. I would go for the ignition and individual gear mapping if I ever do.

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Not so much concerned about the heat Ray. The nature of the beast and living in S. Florida. I just want to rid the bike of the popping on decel at 2100 rpm. I did not hear your bike or Steve's bike pop once. Granted the bikes were runing cool since we were on open road.
Your original post said about the popping when the engine is heated up so that's why I suggested the fan switch. I was under the impression that the problem you are experiencing was worse at the elevated engine temps so keeping the temp reasonable will help.

A fan switch is a kind of cheap and easy fix, you'll still need it with a PCV, believe me.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your original post said about the popping when the engine is heated up so that's why I suggested the fan switch. I was under the impression that the problem you are experiencing was worse at the elevated engine temps so keeping the temp reasonable will help.

A fan switch is a kind of cheap and easy fix, you'll still need it with a PCV, believe me.

RACNRAY
You are right Ray. It does seem to occur more when the bike is super heated. I got the green light from the boss of the house to get the PCV. What do you think the success rate is on eliminating popping altogether?

I was gonna call you but I know you were dealing with the tooth situation and from experience I would rather have my hand gnawed off by an angry beaver than deal with a toothache. :eek:

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent them under a different account, apparently I'm having trouble with my main account. Sorry!
Got them Diehard. Thanks. Which MAP worked best for you before you smashed the Vaq? And did you eliminate all of the decal popping at 2100 rpm?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Got them Diehard. Thanks. Which MAP worked best for you before you smashed the Vaq? And did you eliminate all of the decal popping at 2100 rpm?
Great...I used revised for frank and did great for my setup, I had no backfire at all!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
You are right Ray. It does seem to occur more when the bike is super heated. I got the green light from the boss of the house to get the PCV. What do you think the success rate is on eliminating popping altogether?

I was gonna call you but I know you were dealing with the tooth situation and from experience I would rather have my hand gnawed off by an angry beaver than deal with a toothache. :eek:
Since u got the green lite then go for it. It will no doubt be an improvement over what u have. And you'll have fun as you did with the ejk!

At least they found the cause of the pain, a dead nerve in a tooth causing an abscess, got my antibiotics script filled and took the first 2 pills so in a couple days i'll be better. Then root canal and a crown's gonna get done.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
235 Posts

It helps tremendously.

RACNRAY

OK Ray please post instructions for the fan switch. I am in Arizona and temps of 110 to 114 equal 120 to 130 on the blacktop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since u got the green lite then go for it. It will no doubt be an improvement over what u have. And you'll have fun as you did with the ejk!

At least they found the cause of the pain, a dead nerve in a tooth causing an abscess, got my antibiotics script filled and took the first 2 pills so in a couple days i'll be better. Then root canal and a crown's gonna get done.

RACNRAY
good luck Ray on the root canal have heard of too many that failed not long after getting done. Just my two cents

·
Registered
79 Posts
w̶h̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶m̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶
y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶,̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶s̶h̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶
f̶o̶r̶ ̶F̶a̶n̶ ̶O̶N̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶c̶e̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶/̶t̶e̶m̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶.̶

id like to know what the temps are in relation to the hash marks on the gauge though

but i definitely tell the difference between a HOT motor and a not so hot motor on the deceleration popping

EDIT:

never mind resistance in the sensor decreases with heat increase so that wouldn't work

1 - 20 of 33 Posts