Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys,
Out for a ride Saturday, and I stopped into a Victory dealership near me for a looksie. My eyes were drawn to the amazing Victory Vision. The sales man came over and began to give me a rundown on this incredible machine. My next mistake was asking him if I could have a seat on this beast. For the size of this bike, it fits very well. I felt like a little kid for a few minutes. I tell you, nothing makes me smile more than being around motorcycles, and I was grinning while I sat on the Vision. All I could see was me pointing the wheel toward the Pacific ocean, and not looking back.
Its not time yet. My Nomad is only three years old, and is more than enough for me now, but I can definatley see a Vision in my future.
Any other opinions out there?
take care, Eric

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just bought a new 2012 Voyager. While looking around I found a 2008 Vision locally. I also sat on it. Was amazed at how easy it was to standup for such a big bike. The power windshield, heated grips and seat, and the electric reverse were all tempting. The styling is very different from anything else, some love it, some hate it. I like it! Even more tempting, this one was in red!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also just bought a new 2012 voyager and I belong to the hate em group. I think victory has, by far, the ugliest bikes. I wanted to give them a chance before I bought my VV, but I just couldn't. To each his own. I make no judgements

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't blame you. I almost pulled the trigger on getting a Cross Country or a Vision 8-Ball instead of my Nomad but in the end I couldn't justify spending the extra $$$.

IMO the Vision hits that sweet spot between a Gold Wing and a V-twin touring bagger. If you are into the progressive look the only real weakness of the design IMO is the smaller than average saddle bags. It's true that the massive trunk kinda makes up in cubic feet but I like to keep my heavy wares lower to the ground.

I've seen a few decent deals on used Visions here and there so you may get your chance.

Victory just announced there 2014s BTW and I have my eye on that solid black Cross Country Tour *drools*.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I, too, have sat on a Vision. In fact, I rode one at a demo ride! It rides like a sport touring bike, it handles incredibly. Sitting behind the bars it's the most beautiful bike in the world. The gauges are in exactly the right spot and you have TONS of room to move around.

And, I'M SORRY; but that's where it ends. You get off that bike and it's butt ugly! haha. I'd love to have one. Though I was also impressed with the Vulcan Voyager. Harley Ultra-Classic was so-so. Left me felling "meh". And I don't spend that kind of money for "meh". I'm still probably a couple years away from another bike (like you mine isn't that old and I'm happy with it, but I'm always 'looking'). But I'm leaning more towards the Voyager. Shallow? Yeah probably that's part of it. I don't like the looks of the Vision. But it is a great riding bike!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't really care for the looks of most Vics, to me they look metric or something futuristic. Victory needs to mix up the motors a bit as well. Give em a different look. The Judge is about the best looking one. I'd consider it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would trade my voyager in a heart beat for a victory cross country tour. It has more storage room,heated grips, heated seats and in my opinion a better ride. The Voyager puts out way too much heat, way too much dash vibration and the stereo system just plain sucks compared to every other touring bike period. It was a nice step up from my 900 but I never recommend it to any one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would trade my voyager in a heart beat for a victory cross country tour. It has more storage room,heated grips, heated seats and in my opinion a better ride. The Voyager puts out way too much heat, way too much dash vibration and the stereo system just plain sucks compared to every other touring bike period. It was a nice step up from my 900 but I never recommend it to any one.
Amen ! If my wife would let me trade it it would of been gone a year ago the Voyager. After spending 1000s of dollars on it it is half tolerable. My eye is on a Road Glide Ultra.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too gave the Victory a shot when I was lookin for a full dresser. I happened to pull into a dealer in Plymouth, In. when the semi trailer was there doing their big pro-mo. Didn't ride the Vision (bout the butt ugliest thing I've ever seen) I rode the one that almost looks like a real V-twin full dresser, don't remember the name. Anyway, it was the worst 20 minutes I've every spent on a bike. It didn't ride or handle bad and the power was fine. It was just the worst riding position ever....seating position, handle bars, floor boards. It was like they went out of their way to make it as uncomfortable as possible!!!
My hips were killing me by the time I got off the thing!!!
My Voyager on the other hand has been to the west coast and back last summer and to Vegas and back this summer. Can't imagine any better bike to do it on. I love this thing!!! My next bike??? Just a newer Voyager....of course...:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh, nothing like a mixed bag of opinions to make the world go round!
I am happy with my Nomad, and am very grateful that I am able to even own one. She will be taking me to my future home in the White Mtns of New Hampshire this weekend for my "once a year wife allows me" weekend ride.
God willing, in about eight years we will be moving up to that area for retirement.
I love my Nomad, but sitting on the Vision just got me thinking.
Take care, guys, Eric

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think the top box on the Vision Tour is one of the ugliest design features ever put on a motorcycle.
The clam shell side bags waste a ton of space and side entry means your stuff will easily spill.
I don't like the little 'wings' that are meant for wind direction.
Even with stage 1 pipes the thing didn't sound 'right'; I'm not sure exactly how to explain it.

With that said, if my wife enjoyed the ride from the pillion seat; I would own one today.:)
I like the look with the tourpack removed a lot. I know... 'here's George Jetson'.
18" footboards are great.
The tip over protection is beyond amazing.
The amenities stock are pretty darn awesome.
And the ride feels like it's laser guided.
You look, lean and the bike acts like it's on a monorail; smooth precise handling.

I am a fan of the Vics.
I think the Vision is the only one that doesn't really do a great job displaying their big beautiful air-cooled V-twin.
I think they try a little too hard to look unique.
But considering that if you put a motor on two wheels someone will say you're copying; I really don't blame them.
They do put a LOT of ingenuity into their bikes and hit more home runs than strike outs.

Like I said if the wife had liked the ride from the pillion I would have a Vision.
The Cross Country Tour (XCT) was next; and I had a spreadsheet that compared it with my 2012 VV. In the end Kawasaki had a slight edge.
The XCT is air cooled and cooked my legs, it's fairing is fork mounted and I just enjoyed the ride of the Voyager a bit more.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts