Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming to a very sharp curve in a neighborhood I drive thru often, looked back at some bikes that sit in front of a house, front tire got too close to the edge of road, down I went. I busted a new shield I just bought, scratched tank, bent shifter a little. Got road rash on back, and bruised my hip but I'm fine. I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow.

IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I know it's hard to look at the bright side, but you walked away - call it a good day! My son-in-law dumped his bike, low speed, but still totaled the bike and vaporized his heel. Months and months of wheelchair, crutches, therapy, still can't walk anywhere close to right.
Glad you're OK!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well Daboo glad to hear you're still in 1 piece!
Only bruises on you and the bike!
It could have been worst!

So a lesson learnt for all of us, when riding, don't look at other bikes or girls
(in that order).

Gilles

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So a lesson learnt for all of us, when riding, don't look at other bikes or girls
(in that order).
Thanks! I'll try to remember this. If I had gone my original route instead of a last second change, this would not have happened. I am riding this bike so often, I'm not surprised this happened. This is twice this year! I think someone is trying to tell me something.

My focus will now be sharper than ever. Any suggestions for bending foot peg a 1/4 inch and a way to cover scratches in my tank without making it look obvious? I'm not telling my wife about this.

tank.jpg

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Only bruises = minor win. Glad you're in one piece, and the bike is fixable.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pretzel! This road was in bad shape but it was still my fault for looking around in a place that was not safe.

It does take only one second... when we turn our heads, we drift that way. I'm learning some hard and painful lessons.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad you're ok. Hope you get back on your scoot soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad you are OK, and the bike is repairable...I know how you could get a little distracted looking at other bikes..I do the same thing. I will definitely be more aware...Thanks for the post..Take care & heal quickly!

·
Registered
365 Posts
My focus will now be sharper than ever. Any suggestions for bending foot peg a 1/4 inch and a way to cover scratches in my tank without making it look obvious? I'm not telling my wife about this.

View attachment 13097
Eagle decal? I tried to bend my wife's foot peg about 1/2" and it broke off. Good luck with that. Glad to hear you are relatively unscathed.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The only way to fix those deep scratches RIGHT is going to be to have it painted. You could try buffing compound to see if you can make them a little less noticeable. There's also those super expensive 'touch up paint' pens. But, IMO, they look worse than the scratches!

Your saving grace though is that you don't have a two-tone Vulcan, and it's black. You can get it painted cheaper than most of us. As far as bending the footpeg, well, just bend it. It'll either work or it'll break! LOL

The decal route is a good one too. You can get 'tank wrap' decals/vinyls from various places to add flames to the tank.

Good luck man! Watch those corners.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Glad your OK Daboo. I almost dropped mine a few weeks back doing the same thing. Turned back to look at something while I was coming to a stop. Luckily I won, bike stayed up!

Sand your tank down, grab some shiny black colour match spray paint. Mask off areas you don't want to paint, and give it a spray paint clear coat after. It won't look perfect, but it will look better than the scratches.

Or tank decals will work too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The only way to fix those deep scratches RIGHT is going to be to have it painted. You could try buffing compound to see if you can make them a little less noticeable. There's also those super expensive 'touch up paint' pens. But, IMO, they look worse than the scratches!

Your saving grace though is that you don't have a two-tone Vulcan, and it's black. You can get it painted cheaper than most of us. As far as bending the footpeg, well, just bend it. It'll either work or it'll break! LOL

The decal route is a good one too. You can get 'tank wrap' decals/vinyls from various places to add flames to the tank.

Good luck man! Watch those corners.
I had to buy a new tank for my 04 1500 classic after I had an accident hauling it on a trailer. It cost me around $750 for a tank already painted. I had the dark green and white paint scheme. (same as PatC's bike) And that was without tank badges and gas cap, just the tank.

Daboo
Glad you are ok. Just chalk it up to a learning experience. We all have done similar things.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As far as bending the footpeg, well, just bend it. It'll either work or it'll break! LOL
Well that is great advice... LOL!

Thanks John! don't know about flames but is doable.

Glad you are OK, and the bike is repairable...I know how you could get a little distracted looking at other bikes..I do the same thing.
Thanks double!

I'm considering this. I'm a perfectionist and the scratches and bent shifter will worry me to death.

I tried to bend my wife's foot peg about 1/2" and it broke off.
Well! I'm figuring it is the steel that peg and shifter are attached to. If I have the right lever and force, it could be good as new. I'm a little chicken though!

Sand your tank down, grab some shiny black colour match spray paint. Mask off areas you don't want to paint, and give it a spray paint clear coat after. It won't look perfect
The scratches could serve as a reminder. I actually thought about getting a can of black and carefully trying to cover it. Whether I personally do as you suggest or use canned paint, it ain't gonna look right. I am going to ask a friend who is a pro although you guys have offered some things to think about.

Daboo
Glad you are ok. Just chalk it up to a learning experience. We all have done similar things.
I really do appreciate this and everyone's thoughtfulness. I love riding so much and as much as I try to care for this bike and to be careful, I know this stuff is always a possibility.

My butt is sore. Ribs are sore. A little road rash on my back is sore. Btw! Helmet hit pavement but bike was in grass. I'm so thankful! Bike is definitely rideable.

About helmets! I was driving thru Illinois on Labor day and was surprised at the large number of riders I saw that did not have helmets.

This is twice now that I could have head injuries in a slow speed lay down if not for a helmet. My 2 cents!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Sand your tank down, grab some shiny black colour match spray paint. Mask off areas you don't want to paint, and give it a spray paint clear coat after. It won't look perfect, but it will look better than the scratches.
I done this with a white car I had and it worked for it. But white hides a lot, it is not like black. If the scratches are deep enough you may have to sand quite a bit or maybe use some spot putty to smooth out. There is a place in a neighboring town that can mix paint and put it in a rattle can. Use that, wet sand plenty, then clear and polish and it should not hardly be noticeable.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I done this with a white car I had and it worked for it. But white hides a lot, it is not like black. If the scratches are deep enough you may have to sand quite a bit or maybe use some spot putty to smooth out. There is a place in a neighboring town that can mix paint and put it in a rattle can. Use that, wet sand plenty, then clear and polish and it should not hardly be noticeable.
+1. Lots of automotive paint places will mix the 'good stuff' into a paint can. You can go online to Colorrite (google it) and they'll sell you a can of the ACTUAL Kawasaki black for aroudn $25 a can.

I've done some rattle can painting, but by no means consider myself a pro. But this is the procedure I've used and it's always produced excellent and long lasting results. (But, I'll be honest, I've never done it to something that was newer or value. I did a lawn mower hood, a friends old rusty '77 Kawasaki, and a tractor. BUT, they all lasted and looked good for as long as I/they had them...)

Here's the basics (google around for other techniques too and decide what works for you)

1: Get a cheap paint suit and respirator and wear both. Automotive paint isn't good for your lungs, and painting outside isn't good for your paint job! Paint inside your garage if possible, with doors closed and a respirator. The paint suit is a must, most artifacts in your paint will come from YOU, not the environment. Most dust and crud like that comes off of the painted. Cheap paper paint suits are only a couple bucks and do just fine.

2: Remove the tank. You'll get a much better paint job removing the tank and all assorted junk than taping it. IMO, it'll take less time to take the tank off than to tape/paint carefully/touch up and everything else that painting on the bike will require.

3: Paint the whole tank. You won't get a matching 'patch'. Just sand it down and do the whole thing.

Google around for different procedures on rattle can techniques. Just understand a couple of things; 1: A rattlecan job with a clear coat is a LONG process. If you paint, and then clear right over it, the solvents in the paint will eventually peel the clear and cause things to fade. Whenever I did it, after the color coat I waited at least TWO WEEKS before applying the clear coat. I also got best results putting several coats of clear, and then waiting a few days for it to dry. As the paint stretches, orange peel will show up. Once it does, wet sand it with a 1500grit sandpaper SUUUPPPERR LIGHTLY, you don't want to cut the clear off. After you have a smooth, matte finish, use buffing compound and buff it to a glass finish.

Finally, the clear coat must be a two-part clear coat and must be thick. Otherwise the first time you spill fuel on that tank it'll peel right off. There are two part aerosol clear coats. Put on several coats. OR, just paint the color coat, wait a couple weeks to let it dry, and take the tank to a paint shop and have them clear it.

Or, you could just find a black tank on eBay and buy it! But I think if I were in your shoes, with a black bike, I'd just paint it myself. (Probably wouldn't be the same story with my two tone, though. It'd probably not be any more expensive and way less of a hassle to just buy a new tank). Black matches pretty easily too so if you wanna go real cheap, you COULD use some black rustoleum with a high quality two part clear. Though it won't look as good as the original and it won't last nearly as long as automotive paint. Takes some time and some work but it's much cheaper than a new tank or having it painted. And I had good luck before so...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
+1. Lots of automotive paint places will mix the 'good stuff' into a paint can. You can go online to Colorrite (google it) and they'll sell you a can of the ACTUAL Kawasaki black for aroudn $25 a can.

I've done some rattle can painting, but by no means consider myself a pro. But this is the procedure I've used and it's always produced excellent and long lasting results. (But, I'll be honest, I've never done it to something that was newer or value. I did a lawn mower hood, a friends old rusty '77 Kawasaki, and a tractor. BUT, they all lasted and looked good for as long as I/they had them...)

Here's the basics (google around for other techniques too and decide what works for you)

1: Get a cheap paint suit and respirator and wear both. Automotive paint isn't good for your lungs, and painting outside isn't good for your paint job! Paint inside your garage if possible, with doors closed and a respirator. The paint suit is a must, most artifacts in your paint will come from YOU, not the environment. Most dust and crud like that comes off of the painted. Cheap paper paint suits are only a couple bucks and do just fine.

2: Remove the tank. You'll get a much better paint job removing the tank and all assorted junk than taping it. IMO, it'll take less time to take the tank off than to tape/paint carefully/touch up and everything else that painting on the bike will require.

3: Paint the whole tank. You won't get a matching 'patch'. Just sand it down and do the whole thing.

Google around for different procedures on rattle can techniques. Just understand a couple of things; 1: A rattlecan job with a clear coat is a LONG process. If you paint, and then clear right over it, the solvents in the paint will eventually peel the clear and cause things to fade. Whenever I did it, after the color coat I waited at least TWO WEEKS before applying the clear coat. I also got best results putting several coats of clear, and then waiting a few days for it to dry. As the paint stretches, orange peel will show up. Once it does, wet sand it with a 1500grit sandpaper SUUUPPPERR LIGHTLY, you don't want to cut the clear off. After you have a smooth, matte finish, use buffing compound and buff it to a glass finish.

Finally, the clear coat must be a two-part clear coat and must be thick. Otherwise the first time you spill fuel on that tank it'll peel right off. There are two part aerosol clear coats. Put on several coats. OR, just paint the color coat, wait a couple weeks to let it dry, and take the tank to a paint shop and have them clear it.

Or, you could just find a black tank on eBay and buy it! But I think if I were in your shoes, with a black bike, I'd just paint it myself. Takes some time and some work but it's much cheaper than a new tank or having it painted. And I had good luck before so...
That sums it up nicely. I am just too lazy to type it all out. Also when painting be sure your first coat is a light coat. They call it a tack coat for a reason. Also when you paint, wet the place down if you can just for extra insurance against dust.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I played around with graphics some. This is iphone pic so best i could do at the time.I think there is a very slight dent. Scratches are just below paint line.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts