Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike went down only 10 minutes after switching my temp tags for permanent ones. It was right after the big snow storm and apparently I hit a patch of that anti icing crap while making a right (at a little too fast a speed). Needless to say I went down and into a nice little skid on my right side.:mad:

My bodies a little soar but more importantly my bike still starts. It's mostly cosmetic damage (pipes, gas tank [Vulcan symbol shattered and a small dent], scratches on the brake lever, and reservoir and a few other scratches here and there]). And one bruised ego.

The major damage was to the rear break pedal, which I believe just got disconnected. I saved the spring, that happened to be lying on the road :(

I didn't need a tow and managed to ride it home, but with the break out I kept it in a low gear and a slow speed.

I've got an insurance claim going but I can't see it being more than my deductible. I'm also pretty sure I can fix the break pedal myself.

Is there anything else I should be looking for before I declare her fit to ride?

And tomorrow was suppose to be perfect riding weather. :crying:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. The important thing is that you are all right - bikes can be replaced and repaired but human bodies are priceless! Parts are pretty expensive, so the cost may well run higher than your insurance deductible unless it's quite high. Before riding it, you may want to have the bike checked out by a competent motorcycle mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. Think of the war stories you can tell now. Human nature is to think of a little better way to tell it every time, you know.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap! Glad your OK...:) If you have any doubts I would have someone that works on bikes check it out before going back on the road with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get that scooter checked over real good!

A while back, about 10 of us were riding. One of the guys in our group riding a brand new HD Fatboy ( had 120 miles on it when we left) dropped off the right shoulder in a curve, went down (right in front of me) sliding under the guardrail. He got a busted lip and a mortaly wounded ego. (especially after we found out he was "ok"). We found only a few dents and scratches kind of like yours and it broke off the brake pedal. Would you believe after the adjuster got finished it was about $7800.00 in damages. They replaced the frame, tins, ect. I strongly urge you to get it checked out very good. Remember, if you are like me you are rather fond of the guy that rides that motorcycle. Happy Trails.... Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
927 Posts
Glad you are OK, make sure to check the battery and if low acid check the surrounding area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pick-me-up. I guess walking away in disgust is still walking away. But man am I sore right now.

I've got the ball rolling on the insurance right now. On the bright side the guy I bought the bike off of did a crappy job painting the tank flat black, maybe I'll get a new stock one out of the deal.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My bike went down only 10 minutes after switching my temp tags for permanent ones. It was right after the big snow storm and apparently I hit a patch of that anti icing crap while making a right (at a little too fast a speed). Needless to say I went down and into a nice little skid on my right side.:mad:

My bodies a little soar but more importantly my bike still starts. It's mostly cosmetic damage (pipes, gas tank [Vulcan symbol shattered and a small dent], scratches on the brake lever, and reservoir and a few other scratches here and there]). And one bruised ego.

The major damage was to the rear break pedal, which I believe just got disconnected. I saved the spring, that happened to be lying on the road :(

I didn't need a tow and managed to ride it home, but with the break out I kept it in a low gear and a slow speed.

I've got an insurance claim going but I can't see it being more than my deductible. I'm also pretty sure I can fix the break pedal myself.

Is there anything else I should be looking for before I declare her fit to ride?

And tomorrow was suppose to be perfect riding weather. :crying:
dimsum,

Glad you're o.k.

My rule of thumb: once the roads are salted/sanded, the bike is IN until a few warm March rains. No doubt there are lots of winter days warm enough to ride (today being one of them), but it's a totally different game out there on January roads than on June roads. The roads are not the same--sand, salt, pot holes, frost heaves, snowbanks, ice--and the odds of going down skyrocket. Put the bike away and yearn for Spring. JM2C. Be Safe.

·
Registered
864 Posts
"My bodies a little soar but more importantly my bike still starts. It's mostly cosmetic damage (pipes, gas tank [Vulcan symbol shattered and a small dent], scratches on the brake lever, and reservoir and a few other scratches here and there]). And one bruised ego". Quote

I did my Face Plant in front of like 30 people, talk about bruised ego ! The one thing i have learned i would share with you is BODY ARMOR , from now on this old biker never leaves home with out it ! I dont look near as cool, but if i ever have another wreck im gonna be as protected as possible. Bulldozer, talkin and writing on here cause im still not healed up, frickin ribs ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the insurance company wanted to total my bike. I informed them about what part of my ass they could kiss. It looks like I'll be paying out of pocket, which shouldn't be as bad as they made it sound. I still say it just needs the rear brake to be fixed and the handle bars adjusted.

I'm not as worried about the cosmetic damage. Although I just looked at where the tail pipe was scratched, we've had a lot of damp weather recently, the scratches have now rusted. It's a depressing site but I was thinking about throwing on some lower profile/ louder pipes. So maybe crisis has become opportunity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts