Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Vulcan Nomad 1700, purchased new.

1. Tank sticker says 90+ octane. What does everyone run in these bikes?

2. Can someone recommend an air filter?

3. Will be adding Vance & Hines slip-on mufflers and quiet baffles. Want a little more noise, but not LOUD LOUD.

4. Tuner for the above set up.

5. Rear wheel alignment - I notice the belt is all the way over to one side. Can someone point me to the rear wheel alignment procedure?

Any other tips you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice bikes, i just purchased a 2013 nomad, new, i'm running 93 octane from chevron, getting about 40mpg, also put a K&N air filter, paid $62. shipped from rocky mountain atv-mc.com, noticed a slight smoother response, feels looser getting on the throttle, i'm leaving pipes as stock, they seem fine to me, so does the seat....ride on...enjoy!!!!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I run 87, recommend by my mechanic

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
the belt alignment is normal, from what I have read here

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also run 87 octane with no issues. The compression on these bikes is 9:1, they don't need 93 octane. It is just a CYA by the manufacturer to ensure no engine knocking. Dont waste the money.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
but.... try it not everyone feels the same way, same with which oil to use.. if you notice difference in performance/ knocking, you can always switch back!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm thinking a Thunder Manufacturing round big air kit.... anyone have one of these ?
The factory air filter is small, so I don't know how much of an improvement would be in simply swapping it out for a K&N filter.

???

I (maybe) wouldn't even swap out the A/F and exhaust, but my experience is that opening them and letting them "breath" really improves the general rideability.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I have the thunder MFG big air kit, round

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think it depends on your altitude. My bike likes 89 - 93. 89 is fine on the flats or cruising the interstate. 93 when on weekend rides. We will see if anything changes when I get the bike back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so what about a tuner?

I have a Cobra PowerPro on my '08 Fatboy and it does a great job.

Our Heritage Softail has a Vance & Hines FP3 flash tuner and it works well, but I don't think there are any flash tuners available for these bikes.

I've had past problems with the Power Commanders, so that wouldn't be my first choice.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Most are having great success with doebek, or pc5.
doebek sounds more user-friendly. Pc5, I had mine dyno'd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We just don't have any decent dyno tuners in this area. About the time ya get a line on a decent tuner, then that guy goes out of business.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Hockeynut, has had great luck with his Dobeck, as well as several others ... I removed the Cobra FI2000 when I bought I wasn't impressed at all

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
We just don't have any decent dyno tuners in this area. About the time ya get a line on a decent tuner, then that guy goes out of business.
Agreed, not many good ones out there. and it does cost around 300-400 on a good tuner

·
Registered
82 Posts
very happy with the dobeck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, well I just called Doebeck - and you're right, they are an helpful and friendly bunch.

It appears that they give a discount to forum members and to Military Veterans, so I'm waiting on the discount verification.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now.... all I need is to find a way to engineer some sort of quick release for the saddlebags.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I didn't do my homework as well, and didn't know about the dobeck, until I purchased the PC5.. I just knew I didn't want the FI2000 that came with the bike when I bought it.
Hockeynut's dobeck went and did dyno runs with the same shop that dyno tuned my PC5, he had more a couple more pounds of torque than me, I had a couple pounds of HP than him.. But he had the better flexibility of tuning it himself which he did.

I believe you will be extremely satisfied with the dobeck.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I love my power pro. I have the Thunder BAK that uses the stock covers. The combo is awesome!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's see.

Now where were we?

Oh yeah - I ordered the Gen III Dobeck tuner.

I'm in the process of ordering the Thunder BAK that uses the stock covers

NOW I need some slip-on mufflers.

Suggestions?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts