Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the darkside for the first time about a month,or 1500kms ago.Living in OZ limits the tyre brands,so it took a while finding one,I went for an Accelera Alpha,205/60/16.I can say that the difference is barely noticeable,and it's just different,not better nor worse,just different.For the first few rides I took it easy,and just let the tyre scrub up,but on the last ride gave it a bit of a push,and was pleasantly surprised at the grip.I had the pressure at 40 psi,but I'm now dropping that down to 34-36,I can say that the ride seems more comfortable,a little smoother.But that could just be me,and considering the state of the roads around here,who knows!The price of the tyre is half what I was paying for bike tyres,$125 against $250.It's directional,with mirrored patterns on each side.I'm going for another ride on thu,if anyone's interested I'll let you know what I think with the reduced pressure.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Welcome to the darkside Dave! It might take a few rides for that weird feeling to go away. I run a $96 Altamax HP 195/55/16 with 37-38psi with no problem. People that I ride with are just amazed when their behind me and seeing just how much road that tire is grabbing. Here's a pic of mine after about 7500 miles, how can you beat a $96 tire for who knows how many miles I'm gonna get compared to a stock tire.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dave does the Tyre rub on the swing arm,I had a kumho 205/60/16 on my voyager 1700 but it used to tram line a bit and fell a bit squirmy tried all range of tyre pressures,have got a pirelli night dragon on it now

·
Registered
851 Posts
Dave does the Tyre rub on the swing arm,I had a kumho 205/60/16 on my voyager 1700 but it used to tram line a bit and fell a bit squirmy tried all range of tyre pressures,have got a pirelli night dragon on it now
You know truckie, It may be the Kumho band that you were running because I have other friends that run Altramax HP 205/60/16. One has a Voyager and the other is a Vaquero and they both have about a 1/4" clearance with no problems.

I'm a strong believer in Pirelli tires, I use to run the MT66 on my 900LT and loved them but they don't make the size I need for my Vaquero. I was at a bike event and Pirelli was there and the sales rep was showing me how well the night dragons were constructed. I don't know if you know this but under the tire tread there still a 1/4" layer of rubber before you hit cords, nice tire. I almost went with the rear night dragon because he shot me a price of $170 installed right there but I decided to got darkside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'day Truckie,the tyre doesn't rub at all,and I've got the pressure around the 35psi mark.Handles just fine,I don't know if you've ridden the roads around the Mid North Coast,but they're in a pretty poor state,and I thought I might have had a problem with them,but the tyre grabs plenty of tar,and feels plenty stable.There's not a chance in hell I'd go back to a bike tyre,I've just put 2000k's on it,and it looks untouched!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi Dave the roads here in the New England area are not any better,where did you buy that tyre from as i cant get hold of it here where i live
Cleavers tyres in Taree,they had to order in the size I wanted,but it only took a few days to get here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought,but have you checked that the swing arms for the voyager and nomad are the same size?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to the darkside Dave! It might take a few rides for that weird feeling to go away. I run a $96 Altamax HP 195/55/16 with 37-38psi with no problem. People that I ride with are just amazed when their behind me and seeing just how much road that tire is grabbing. Here's a pic of mine after about 7500 miles, how can you beat a $96 tire for who knows how many miles I'm gonna get compared to a stock tire.

What tire are you running up front?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
G'day mzg718,I'm just running the stock Bridgestone ExedraMax up front,haven't been willing to go for a big change on the front tyre,I get around 18,000km out of it,so I'm not too bothered about it.Have put over 3000km on the rear now,I lowered the pressure to around 34-35 and the feel has improved greatly.I'll never go back to a bike tyre,the value for money is just outstanding with a car tyre on.I have had a few rides now where I've pushed a bit,and I'm very confident in the tyre.The only thing I haven't done is ridden in the rain,but with the tread pattern on this tyre,I can't see that being a problem,I reckon it would just about suck the bike onto the road!Have a good one!Stay upright!!

·
Registered
851 Posts

What tire are you running up front?
I'm still running with the stock front tire that has about 13500 mile on it. Probably by mid/end of this next season I'm changing it out and going with the Pirelli MT66 on the front. I ran Pirelli on my 900 when I had it and was very pleased with them, I had just about 30000 miles on the 900 front tire when I traded it and it still had some tread left but was about ready to be changed. Here the link for what I'm going with on the front and it is a tubed or tubeless tire, great tire for a great price.

http://www.jakewilson.com/p/4364/19194/Pirelli-MT66-Route-Front-Motorcycle-Tire

·
Registered
52 Posts
Went Dark!

[/URL][/IMG]

I love the additional braking from the rear brakes. I'm still getting used to the push when you go from level ground to angled pavement. I went with the Yokohama Envigor . 205/60R16 and it's very close to swing arm so I would go with the 195 next time. Bike is a 2003 1600 Classic

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[/URL][/IMG]

I love the additional braking from the rear brakes. I'm still getting used to the push when you go from level ground to angled pavement. I went with the Yokohama Envigor . 205/60R16 and it's very close to swing arm so I would go with the 195 next time. Bike is a 2003 1600 Classic
What pressure are you running?I've got 34psi in mine,I found it to be pretty good,I've now put 4500kms on it,about 3000miles,and I've ridden in all conditions and weather,including some seriously heavy rain,and I'll never go back to a bike tyre.The extra braking power is a bonus,with the lean in,I found with the lower pressure it wasn't as noticeable,I'm barely aware of any difference now between a bike tyre and the car tyre.And as I said earlier,it's only a difference,not better or worse,just different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm running 35PSI, I ran the first 50 miles at 40 PSI. The tire was really snug on the wheel and wasn't wanting to seat. But it finally did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm running 35PSI, I ran the first 50 miles at 40 PSI. The tire was really snug on the wheel and wasn't wanting to seat. But it finally did.
I did the first 1000km at 40 psi,funny you mention the seating,when I took my rim with the old tyre still on it into the shop,the fitter didn't think he'd be able to get the car tyre on,he'd never put a car tyre onto a bike rim before.He had a bit of trouble getting the bike tyre off,but the car tyre popped on straight away,and seated perfectly,surprised all of us,as we had an audience at this stage,everyone wanting to see the crazy guy with the car tyre on the bike!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts