Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Avon's on the Voyager a couple of weeks ago and the initial experience left me wondering if I had done the right thing. Handling went to crap and the bike wanted to go it's own way on uneven surfaces. I wondered if it was the Avon's and I just needed to get used to them. I also noticed the front axle didn't seem to be seated correctly. Yesterday I noticed that the fuel economy had dropped from about 17.4 km per liters to 14.2 almost over night. :mad:

I rang the mechanic and the scoot was in the shop first up this morning. He took the front and rear wheels off again rebalanced and realigned them and added about an ounce and a half of lead.

The bike now handles better then ever and the fuel economy has jumped up to about 18.4 km per Liter (about 42 mpg) :waving:

I'm happy now but as I rode off the apprentice was looking rather subdued with the Service Manager and the Head Mechanic having gentle words to him. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I put Avon's on the Voyager a couple of weeks ago and the initial experience left me wondering if I had done the right thing. Handling went to crap and the bike wanted to go it's own way on uneven surfaces. I wondered if it was the Avon's and I just needed to get used to them. I also noticed the front axle didn't seem to be seated correctly. Yesterday I noticed that the fuel economy had dropped from about 17.4 km per liters to 14.2 almost over night. :mad:

I rang the mechanic and the scoot was in the shop first up this morning. He took the front and rear wheels off again rebalanced and realigned them and added about an ounce and a half of lead.

The bike now handles better then ever and the fuel economy has jumped up to about 18.4 km per Liter (about 42 mpg) :waving:

I'm happy now but as I rode off the apprentice was looking rather subdued with the Service Manager and the Head Mechanic having gentle words to him. :rolleyes:
Which AVON's did you go with? I have a pair waiting in the garage - Cobra (AV72) for the rear and Venom (AM41) for the front. Keep us posted on how they perform.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avon AV 72 Cobra's 180-65-6-16 Rear and Avon Venom AM41-MT90/16 Front

The 180 is a bit higher then the OEM's but Avon Australia reckon they don't have/make the OEM size. The higher profile threw my speedo from about 3-4 kph out to 6 out, which I fixed with a speedo healer.

Now the geometry of the bike is sorted, they handle fine. The bloke who fixed it yesterday said to ensure I tell and, make sure that when fitting new tyres they are even more careful with the bikes alignment then normal as it appears to be unforgiving to any slight misalignment.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Avon AV 72 Cobra's 180-65-6-16 Rear and Avon Venom AM41-MT90/16 Front

The 180 is a bit higher then the OEM's but Avon Australia reckon they don't have/make the OEM size. The higher profile threw my speedo from about 3-4 kph out to 6 out, which I fixed with a speedo healer.

Now the geometry of the bike is sorted, they handle fine. The bloke who fixed it yesterday said to ensure I tell and, make sure that when fitting new tyres they are even more careful with the bikes alignment then normal as it appears to be unforgiving to any slight misalignment.
Those are the same sizes I went with, primarily because I didn't want to increase the height with a taller rear tire - this rear tire size mirrors the same height as the OEM size (170/70 is about the same height as 180/65).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I find that the quick handling on my 2010 Nomad is a little more stable if I run the recommended 28 psi in the front and still quick enough to still feel like a lighter bike in the twistys. I ran it for a long time at 36 in the front but dropped it on one long trip down the Oregon coast. Had the wife on back and a T-bag and lots of wind. But that was the stock stones and now the exedra max stones.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried running at 28 but it didn't feel right. The Avon people issued an instruction with the new tyres to run the rear at 44 and the front at 38.

I've been doing that and so far all well especially now the geometry is fixed. Handles better then before but haven't tried it on real twisties yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts