Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so here's the thing, what started the thinking on this project was, i recently had my bike serviced at the dealer, i had been thinking of making something like this so 1000km after the service i took the airbox cover off only to discover the air filter did not look as if it had been changed. Bottom line is i had words with the workshop foreman, and vowed it was the last Kawa would see of me for a service.
So i designed my own airbox complete with a new mounting plate, and it would use a standard weber carb pan type airfilter, it sounded easy enough so i bought the material which included
8" outside diameter/OD x 2 1/2" thick 6061 aluminium
8" OD x 1/2" thick 6061
1 off fram weber air filter
the first thing to do was to machine the mounting plate, which entailed facing both sides and maching a step on the forward edge to accept the cover.
I then mounted the job on my my bench top milling machine found a datum point to suit my needs and using the machines dials i proceeded to plot out all of the holes for mouting to the throttle bodies, and for boring the bores for the venturies. The boring was done with a home made boring head and the bores have a tolerence of less than 1 thou" .
I unfortunately did not take photos at this point.
The six mounting holes for the cover were simply pitched on the correct pcd on my indexing head and then drilled and tapped 6mm x 1mm.

The first photo is of the finished mounting plate after anodising it black.
The second photo is the same but with the air filter mounted

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The airbox cover

The next step was even easier but just a bit time consuming.
I mounted the 8"x 2 1/2" chunk of ali in the 4 jaw chuck and clocked it true, then i faced both sides and turned the OD true to the mounting plated OD.
After this i took a 1 1/2" drill and drilled a holle into the cover to be, just 6mm shy of piercing the cover.
Then i bored to size with a boring bar. I managed to fill 3 black plastic dirt bags with cuttings, i left the sides and face about 6mm/ 1/4" thick.
I then turned the job around and drilled a 51mm/2" hole through the center of the cover. This will be the intake port into the airbox. It will be around this hole that the intake pipe, which is a stainless steel 90' elbow, will be mounted, and onto that the spike will be bolted

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The completed cover

The end result of the cover is displayed below, it has been anodised black with my clubs name in silver.
I am currently busy with the machining on the spike and its mounting elbow

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok just a quick heads up i finished the stainless steel flanges yesterday i still have to pitch and drill the holes but its almost done, i also still have to polish the stainless elbow then weld the flanges to it, but at least i have all the bits together now

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
From one machinist to another; Beautiful craftsmanship!
Have you ever done any spinning in the lathe? Making that from a ¼ thick wafer and roll forming it over a mandrel would save tons of material and time. I can't even imagine what that chunk of aluminum would cost there, here it would be over $80.00!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the compliment Bob.
Actually i have done a bit of reading on the subject of spinning but have never really had the time to tool up and give it a go. Maybe i should try sometime.
The total cost so far is about R650 Which comes to about $89, but the point is i dont earn $ so you cant think like that. To give you an idea a hypercharger would cost me about R4000 to R5000 which is half to just over half of 1 months salary. I hope that puts things in perspective, as many people can't understand why i make things myself that are readily available from the USA. Of course there is the satisfaction of a job well done, and like the grips and 12 volt socket i made as well my designs are different and so attract quite a lot of attention

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
No real store bought tooling required, make a mandrel to roll over, mount a lever on the tool post with a hard plastic skateboard wheel, the harder the better because the aluminum will get warm while you are working it. Check out this video; The art of spinning

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice job Slash, I'll be interested in seeing the finished product. It is very satisfying when you complete your own designed project and it turns out that nice.

Bob, Thanks for the website link, I am just an amateur machine operator (I won't call my self a machinist) but that web site looks to be very interesting. I'm always looking for projects and different ways to accomplish them. I've never heard of spinning before, it's like an art form.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Spinning has been around for over 100 years, Dayton Ohio formerly was known as the spinning center of the USA, not so much being done now with all the plastics and such being so easy to mold.
Look at almost any lamp that is solid one piec design and you'll see spinning work, older headlamp buckets for cars and bikes were all spun. I've done a little spinning but not enough to even say I can do it easily.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the compliment rs900c and Bob thanks for the info man, as i said i have done quite a bit of reading on the subject and have been wanting to give it a go.
The tools that were required in my reading were real old school beautifully crafted pieces with long handles and highly polished tips but your skateboard wheel idea sounds a lot easier.
I just finnished indexing and cutting the slots into the spike last night so at the very latest i will post the rest of the pics by friday next week

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rs900c i am self taught as well so don't feel bad HAHA, i believe that because i have not been taught to think in one specific way that it has allowed me the freedom to express myself a lot more freely that the constraints of any formal learning might have allowed. Just my opinion.
Here are pics of my grips and 12volt socket

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right so today i finally finished the spike and the intake manifold so i guess i can add to my bikes add on list a new airbox complete with RAM air.
The Spike was machined from 6061 ali, all of the major turning and boring was done at one setting on the lathe i did the outside turning first, then added a fixed steady and machined the internal taper.
I then turned the job around in the chuck, after cutting the disk off piece by piece on the bandsaw, i machined the point on the outside.

Once the turning was done a mounted my indexing head on the mill and cut the slots, with much anxiety.
Then started with the flatting paper and parrafin and finally to the buffing maching.

the intake manifold was a simple turning and welding job, with one hell of a lot of polishing inbetween, and that concludes this project.
I hope you like the end product as much as i do

·
Registered
176 Posts
Slash, are you a machinist by trade or just a hobbyist that likes doing machining projects? That a ?ell of a job you did there, looks great. I imagine you've got quite a few hours in on that. Have you ridden it yet, how's the knee clearance?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope i'm not a qualified machinist i'm self taught, it all stearted with an interest in custom knives, so i started making them in 1986 and after that i qualified as a gunsmith so i started building custom pistols, and developed a huge interest in old school machining methods. I devoured thousands of pages on the subject. Since then i have started making parts for the capsule department of the biggest pharmacuetical company in our country, Aspen pharmacare. I consider myself a hobbiest, craftsman and i also have a bit of an artistic flare, which helps a bit as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rs900c is see on the previous page you say you are always looking for projects, are you looking for anything in particular? Give me a shout, i would have no problem sharing what i have and as for the stuff i make, i never work from a drawing, but would not mind making a drawing and emailing it too you. Let me know

Grant

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought after 2 years of use I would add this for general interest.
As previously stated I used a Weber carb pan filter for this project.
After putting another 15000km on the clock I can honestly say I works perfectly with absolutely no problems.
Grant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts