Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good comfy low seat for my cousins '07 custom.
It doesn't look like Mustang makes a solo seat.
Who knows what choices are out there and what do you guys and gals recommend?

Rusty

·
Registered
987 Posts
Low level comfort

I put a Saddlemen solo on my 900. Not the most comfy of rides, but better than the stock torture tester...I read several threads in the 900 section about opinions on aftermarket seats, and like dumper valves, everyone has one. I like Mustangs and I think they do make a solo for the 900 now. I think I read that it pushes you ahead a bit but the comfort level is worth the real estate.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Saddleman Renegade solo for me, the solo has a low seat height and is great for day rides as well as looking great on the bike.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've got a Saddlemen Renegade as well (on a Classic), it's pretty comfy after break-in. I didn't know if it was more comfortable or if I just got used to it. Then I remounted the stock seat, and my butt hurt after a short ride.
I don't know if the Saddlemen is any lower, but it doesn't push my legs out as far as the stock seat did, making it much easier to touch the ground, which is important for me as I have to back my bike into the street between 2 cars on a highly sloped driveway.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you're strictly looking for a solo seat, I'm no help but I have a Corbin Dual Tour that sits a little lower and farther back than the stock seat. Just be aware that I rarely hear complaints about Mustangs but Corbins don't seem to be as widely accepted.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Saddlemen renegade solo deluxe for me. It is a great seat, and it is really comfortable. I am 6'1" (ish) and 260 lbs. No issues for me.

I heard Corbin also has one called the young guns, and there is a willie and max solo seat too. I have no experience with either of those, but chose the saddlemen because I found an awesome deal on e-bay.

Not sure about a solo mustang seat.

The renegade comes plain or with flame stitching I think, and I have heard some say (I have no idea if this is true or not) that the Kawi gel seats are really saddlemens. I don;t think they are (shaped different) but who knows. For the price, the renegade solo was the best option for me. I paid $170 off ebay I think and it arrived in 3 days. Good seat, definitely requires some breaking in.

The stock seat let me ride comfortably for a grand total of 30 minutes at a time before numbness and tail bone pain. The airhawk totally eliminated the numbness, and let me ride about an hour and a half without numbness, but the tailbone pain still existed. My own modifications to the airhawk gave me about two and a half hours of riding, but looked terrible, so I got the saddlemen. I have done 4 hour rides with no issues (after the break in period, which took about 5 or 6 hours in the saddle, maybe a bit more).

I think Granucci (sp.?) also makes a solo seat that I read about somewhere on these forums. No idea price (I think it is around $450, but I may be wrong) or comfort level, but at least it is one more option you can explore.

Matt

·
Registered
256 Posts
use saddleman solo as well as price was under 200 and it makes bike look a lot better but it pushed me up and lowered me about an inch which gave me back problems so i had to get risers which helped a lot but ironically the oem seat gave me no problems i just didn't like the way it made the bike look

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,
I was already looking at that. Looks good and I like that it gets the rider lower and a little forward.
Sold!

-Rustyhammer

·
Registered
450 Posts
I actually emailed Mustang the other day asking if it would be possible to get the wide touring vintage made as a solo seat, this is the response I got back:

Sorry Mustang does not do any custom work. Please check with Sargent cycle-800-749-7328. This company is located in Jacksonville Fl and makes custom seats as well as customizes other manufacturers seats.
Regards,

·
Registered
40 Posts
After doing some research, I found the Kawi flame stitched gel seat to be about $80 less than the nearest after market seat (Mustang, I think), under $200. It feels really good and looks great, too. The back end of the pillion has a stitched Vulcan logo which really makes the seat look custom. I have had bad luck with the quality of 2 sets of Saddlemen bags, so I don't trust Saddlemen quality. Mustang seats on my other Vulcans, including my 900 Classic, but the Kawi gel for my 900 Custom was definitely the way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
507 Posts
After doing some research, I found the Kawi flame stitched gel seat to be about $80 less than the nearest after market seat (Mustang, I think), under $200. It feels really good and looks great, too. The back end of the pillion has a stitched Vulcan logo which really makes the seat look custom. I have had bad luck with the quality of 2 sets of Saddlemen bags, so I don't trust Saddlemen quality. Mustang seats on my other Vulcans, including my 900 Classic, but the Kawi gel for my 900 Custom was definitely the way to go, IMO.
I had the opposite experience; great quality on the saddleman, especially for the price: $170 shipped.

I searched, but could not find a Kawasaki gel seat or Mustang (or any other seat for that matter) under $200. The cheapest mustang seat I could find was the day tripper, and it came in around $350. The cheapest Corbin (the young guns) was over $400, and a really high end seat like an Ultimate or Russel day long was twice that.

But, at the end of the day, as long as you are happy with what you bought, the rest is irrelevant. The flame stitching looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the opposite experience; great quality on the saddleman, especially for the price: $170 shipped.

I searched, but could not find a Kawasaki gel seat or Mustang (or any other seat for that matter) under $200. The cheapest mustang seat I could find was the day tripper, and it came in around $350. The cheapest Corbin (the young guns) was over $400, and a really high end seat like an Ultimate or Russel day long was twice that.

But, at the end of the day, as long as you are happy with what you bought, the rest is irrelevant. The flame stitching looks pretty cool!
My mistake in typing a 2 instead of a 3, meaning a seat under $300 instead of $200. The flame gel seat with this part number: K53001-195 is 1/2 inch lower and 2" narrower than stock. The flame gel seat with part number:
K53001-196 is 3/4 inch taller for both rider and passenger. MSRP for both is $237.95. I work at a Kawi delaership and looked up the part numbers today.
LEW in Durango.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts