Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I actually found a Dealer 40 min's away that had some new Nomads in stock. They would not let me ride any though. I'm gonna keep hunting a dealer that will let me at least ride a used one. I did sit on it, feels comfortable, the bars come a bit closer to me than the 2000 Classic, but still a comfortable sit. The Nomad seat to bar position is similar to the Harley Road King. Have not rode a Nomad yet.

Welcome (appreciate) any comments on below.

I noticed some things today that I had not noticed on Earlier year Nomads. I looked at a 2011 and 2012 and the Bags seem to have lost some space to allow for getting at the air shock valve. Don't remember earlier (pre-2009) Nomads having as much space sculped out of the inside front of the bag.

Those air shocks, if you pump them up for riding 2 up with loaded bags do they increase ground clearance much ?

Do they ride kinda ruff if pumped up much ?

This one Dealer has a "New" (zero miles) 2011 Nomad. Said they got it from the factory with rebate offers. They offered it to me for $12,499 plus $900 dealer add ons and plus sales tax. Came to $14,300 out the door total price. I gave them (a refundable) $300 deposit to hold the bike for one week. Is this a good deal on a New 2011 1700 Nomad ?

Also on the windshield, I know it's adjustable but wondering how high above the headlight it will raise. I'm 6'-2" tall and on my current Harley the Shield is 21" above the top of the headlite (parallel with the forks).

Really appreciate feedback on these items. I may buy this Nomad if I can sell my Harley for enough at the local shop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On the VV the airshocks stiffen the ride but have not noticed to much rise. Did notice I dont bottem out two up when i add a little air.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What do you mean by dealer add ons? Are you talking about accessories or dealer prep/freight etc? I bought a new 2011 Nomad in March for $11,825 plus tax plus dealer prep/freight for an out the door price of $13,122. There could have been a larger rebate when i bought mine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by dealer add ons? Are you talking about accessories or dealer prep/freight etc? I bought a new 2011 Nomad in March for $11,825 plus tax plus dealer prep/freight for an out the door price of $13,122. There could have been a larger rebate when i bought mine.
No not accessories, but that's exactly it, prep/freight/etc. Wow you got an even better deal. I'm not sure whether to buy this one or not (have a week to decide). There doesn't appear to be a lot of 2011 Nomads (new) left around my area. They only had two 2012's. They don't seem to even consider coming down on the price any and seems like if I don't buy it someone else will.

They gave me their best price on one of the 2012's at $14,000 plus add ons and sales tax. Would really appreciate input on these prices from anyone who recently bought or knows the scoop on this.

I'm gonna drive south some today to look at some more.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just finished a 3400+ mile ride from Ky to Colorado! My Nomad was great!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
There seems to be a shortage of Nomads in my area too. The dealers seem to have plenty of Voyagers & Vaqueros though. I obviously prefer the Nomads but the demand must be higher for other two.
I'm pretty sure the rebate was a little more when i bought mine than the current $1000 on the 2011. I paid $305 for freight & $94 for prep for a total of $399. That's quite a bit of difference from the $900 they're quoting you. The deal on the 2011 may not be that bad if you could get them to come off that $900 for freight & prep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 2012 nomad earlier this month for 14,500. The dealership i went to only sold 2 nomads included mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2012 nomad purchase

got the last one my dealer had last week

Bike. 13650
Dealer addons. 634
State tax. 331
Registration (tags and title) 68
3 yr additional warranty. 699. (2 yr factory warr) 5 yr total

Out the door. 15382.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the last one my dealer had last week
Bike. 13650, Dealer addons. 634, State tax. 331
Registration (tags and title) 68
3 yr additional warranty. 699. (2 yr factory warr) 5 yr total

Out the door. 15382.
I guess price is related to Dealer inventory and how bad he needs to move it.

BTW your post brings up another question. On the extended warranty. It kinda reads dubious, in that it does not cover anything caused by normal wear and tear. What kind of situations have any of you guys had with this warranty ? Do some of the Dealers try to say it just wore out ? If that's the case it kinda leaves the interpretation up for argument rather than repair.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Today I actually found a Dealer 40 min's away that had some new Nomads in stock. They would not let me ride any though. I'm gonna keep hunting a dealer that will let me at least ride a used one. I did sit on it, feels comfortable, the bars come a bit closer to me than the 2000 Classic, but still a comfortable sit. The Nomad seat to bar position is similar to the Harley Road King. Have not rode a Nomad yet.

I noticed some things today that I had not noticed on Earlier year Nomads. I looked at a 2011 and 2012 and the Bags seem to have lost some space to allow for getting at the air shock valve. Don't remember earlier (pre-2009) Nomads having as much space sculped out of the inside front of the bag.

Those air shocks, if you pump them up for riding 2 up with loaded bags do they increase ground clearance much ?

This one Dealer has a "New" (zero miles) 2011 Nomad. Said they got it from the factory with rebate offers. They offered it to me for $12,499 plus $900 dealer add ons and plus sales tax. Came to $14,300 out the door total price. I gave them (a refundable) $300 deposit to hold the bike for one week. Is this a good deal on a New 2011 1700 Nomad ?

Also on the windshield, I know it's adjustable but wondering how high above the headlight it will raise. I'm 6'-2" tall and on my current Harley the Shield is 21" above the top of the headlite (parallel with the forks).

Really appreciate feedback on these items. I may buy this Nomad if I can sell my Harley for enough at the local shop.
Will try to answer these lightning round style.....

* Don't know the inside shape of the earlier Nomads but I believe the 1700 bags are bigger in cubic inches. I can usually put 2-3 grochery bags in each if there is nothing too tall in them.

* I've never filled the suspension to max but when I do increase the air there is a little bit of lift to them. As far as ground clearance goes though the shorter/wider chassis causes the 1700 to scrap the boards quicker on the turns then your Harley probably does. That's really the only complaint I have about the chassis but luckily the metal buffers are only $15 to replace so I just let the sparks fly =).

* I would say the rear suspension is not as plush as a Goldwing or a Victory X-country but it is just as if not more forgiving then a touring Harley.

* I believe the windshield raises to 21" (measured vertically) from the top of the headlight

* Sounds like a good deal. I got my 09 with factory rebate for a little over 13k

·
Registered
735 Posts

RWB,

You're getting screwed. When dealers pull this "add-on" crap I just walk out the door. There's a dealer near me with a 2011 left over Nomad. His price is $12,500 and a $99 documentation fee. That's it. Freight and setup are already in the price. Another local dealer has his "Dealer Fees" of $275 written on the bikes pricing paper for all to see. These dealers that charge $500 for "freight and setup" are a-holes. But $900????? I'd get that deposit back and tell them to stuff it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input on the bags. They are still roomy enough for me, but I don't think I will ever understand why Kawa puts so much of the space in the lids ? It must look better for styling I guess, because it doesn't seem as functionally hold worthy to me.

The way I ride (on a touring bike) I probably won't have to worry about scraping the boards too much. Once many many years ago I scraped a Honda and it was because I hit dip in a curve, it bottomed out so hard it went beyond the fold up peg and hit the frame itself. Threw me and the bike towards the outside of the curve and I was in the soft dirt and grass. But I managed to hold it up and slowly get back onto the road.

I found a dealer since that let me ride a 2011 Nomad. I have "no" complaints at with the ride or suspension. It rides very smooth and very comfortable.

21" above the headlight (measured parallel or inline with the forks) is exactly what I ride with on my Harley. So if that's the case I will be set for no turbulence.

RWB, You're getting screwed. When dealers pull this "add-on" crap I just walk out the door. There's a dealer near me with a 2011 left over Nomad. His price is $12,500 and a $99 documentation fee. That's it. Freight and setup are already in the price. Another local dealer has his "Dealer Fees" of $275 written on the bikes pricing paper for all to see. These dealers that charge $500 for "freight and setup" are a-holes. But $900????? I'd get that deposit back and tell them to stuff it.
I appreciate your input and I have since heard of folks getting better deals, but none in my area that have been able to find. Price is all about current inventory, cash flow and how bad a dealer needs to move them.

I've talked to 6 different dealers so far, had to travel a 100 mile radius from my home to get to them all. The best prices I've gotten were these, 14000, 14150, and 14300, the other three dealers were way over these prices and refused to go any lower and didn't seem to mind when I politely walked out the door.

Things are worth what they sell for or what one will pay I guess, that is assuming one "does" buy at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts