Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of handing off my '99 to a friend, and we wanted to knock out some maintenance items like a valve adjustment in the garage before he takes it home. The bike was running and to my knowledge had no motor issues at all. Since the valve cover was going to be off and the price was right, we also decided to swap in a set of Ninja 500 cams while we were in there. So far so good, right?

Wrong.

As we removed the bearing caps over the cam, we discovered something. Looks like the intake valve camshaft has eaten one of the bearing locations away completely leaving a gruesome mess.

How was this even running? The only thing I can figure is that it happened years ago, before I ever bought the bike. Somehow enough material wore away that the problem stopped getting worse and didn't make a horrible noise.

The good news is that a decent used replacement head is less than $100.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
That really blows. I wonder if it got starved for oil...

I'm really curious to see what the Vulcan turns into with the Ninja cams. Can you cram the bigger carbs in there too?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm really curious to see what the Vulcan turns into with the Ninja cams. Can you cram the bigger carbs in there too?
YEP! It can be done.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
How was this even running? The only thing I can figure is that it happened years ago, before I ever bought the bike. Somehow enough material wore away that the problem stopped getting worse and didn't make a horrible noise.
This is an amazing thread...thanks for sharing, fellas. :good:

Hmmm...a bike that'll heal itself...

(Buskman removes his sandals consumed in epiphany)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add insult to injury, I checked the compression on my truck the other day and discovered almost zero in cylinders 5 and 6. Both of its heads are now in the shop for testing. Yay!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts