Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rider with an '03 1600 Classic. Bike has an OEM windshield on it.
I purchased an HJC IS-MAX BT modular helmet. Fit is perfect for me but at speeds over around 60mph there is a buffeting vibration that is distracting to say the least. Almost affects vision until I get used to it. Goes away if I lower my head angle and effectively tuck in behind the windshield. That too is not that comfortable for more than a few minutes.
Helmet is fairly quiet I guess (not much experience with other helmets) and I like the modular design and full face feature but ........... sure would like a helmet that doesn't buffet this bad. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It sounds more like a windshield issue than a helmet. Is your windshield easilly removeable? You might try a comparison with and without. I'm no expert on windshield height so maybe someone else here can pipe in with a appropriate height suggestion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion but (and there is no way you would ever know this) this is Love Bug season here and there is no way that windshield is coming off!!!
To give you an idea of height of the windshield - I can see over the windshield in my normal seated position. Part of my face and helmet is below it and part above it. If I tuck in below it I can minimize the issue.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It is likely not the helmet or windshield - you need to install windshield lowers to divert the air coming up around the sides of the gas tank and up under your helmet. To check this, move one of your hands (held flat) out over the side of the tank while riding - if you find this changes the buffeting then the lowers will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This is a common issue. The answer is windshield lowers.

Try this. Go down the highway at 65 and sit as you normally do, getting the buffeting. Now, take one arm and cover the area between the front of your fuel tank and the windshield. Notice how the buffeting decreases? Air is coming up over the tank creating a turbulent zone behind the windshield. Installing some lowers will all but eliminate this problem for you.

Edit: Whoops! Someone beat me to it.

You have three options with lowers:

1) OEM. Most expensive option usually, but some prefer the look as the brackets and trim matches the OEM windshield.

2) Memphis shades. Cheaper than OEM, small but effective lowers. Find them at JP cycles or other places.

3) Homemade. Search this forum for homemade windshield lowers and the different methods people use to make them. Cheapest option if you're handy!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just an FYI - bigger may not necessarily be better... I thought that should be the case, and made some new plexiglass blades to replace my smaller OEM blades - they were significantly bigger but didn't work near as well as the OEM.

I would hope that the OEMs and major players (like Memphis Shades) have some testing behind them and work well whatever model you get.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, kinda' looks like I am down to the NC or the longer 14" Memphis shades and be a Guinea Pig. Anyone know if the NC's will fit with an OEM windshield?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. This is getting a little more confusing.
Called both Memphis shades and National Cycle this morning and both companies tell me thier products will not work with my windshield. Only their windshield. National cycle stated that neither of their chrome deflectors will be able to utilize the OEM bolt pattern. Will only work with their windshield and mounts.
Went to Cruiser customizing and it looks like the OEM deflectors are discontinued in their website.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Called both Memphis shades and National Cycle this morning and both companies tell me thier products will not work with my windshield. Only their windshield. National cycle stated that neither of their chrome deflectors will be able to utilize the OEM bolt pattern. Will only work with their windshield and mounts.
Went to Cruiser customizing and it looks like the OEM deflectors are discontinued in their website.
I have a post on here titled "lowers links and options" universal lowers. I haven't got mine yet from scootworks (oh no) but that's why I post the information. So guys see it! Go look!

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's in the 1600 thread by the way

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a post on here titled "lowers links and options" universal lowers. I haven't got mine yet from scootworks (oh no) but that's why I post the information. So guys see it! Go look!

Boomer - I would do that, but.............I have read too many horror stories about Scootworks to trust my hard earned money with them. Thanks for the information though!
I did read your post by the way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Boomer - I would do that, but.............I have read too many horror stories about Scootworks to trust my hard earned money with them. Thanks for the information though!
I feel ya on that one. I forgot how bad they were!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also I have a part number if you want it on the lowers I ordered. You can get them somewhere else if you wish. People say they work good

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know how well they work for you. I am getting the feeling after doing research that the type and shape of the windshield probably has alot to do with whether or not a particular type of lower works or is deemed "junk". The "store bought" lowers are either made for a particular windshield shape or have a generic shape at the top edge of the lower. With the many different shapes of the windshields at the bottom I can see where some lowers may ramp air right back up under the windshield as bad as before. Looks like the physical air gap between the bottom of the windshield and the top of the lower has a ton to do with it. Probably more so than the physical length of the lower anyway.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Let me know how well they work for you. I am getting the feeling after doing research that the type and shape of the windshield probably has alot to do with whether or not a particular type of lower works or is deemed "junk". The "store bought" lowers are either made for a particular windshield shape or have a generic shape at the top edge of the lower. With the many different shapes of the windshields at the bottom I can see where some lowers may ramp air right back up under the windshield as bad as before. Looks like the physical air gap between the bottom of the windshield and the top of the lower has a ton to do with it. Probably more so than the physical length of the lower anyway.
We shall see. I had a MS Big Shot on my 900 and even at 100 I never had buffeting. I didn't even know what it was. Then I had my C90 and holy crap I basically sold the bike cause of it. Now I have the same shield on my Kawi and its not as bad but still there. I will be fitting the big shot on her next and see what happens. Either way ill have a shield for sale soon lol. I'll let you know how the lowers go if you don't get some yourself

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well........did a ride early this evening and went up a long straight back road for several miles up around 55-70-mph. to see what is causing the buffeting.
Was a cool evening as well.
Used my left hand and arm to block wind coming up from the rear of the tank sides and that helped soften the buffeting a little.
Noticed that if I put my hand a few inches above the windshield (in front of my head and helmet) the buffeting stopped immediately and definitely.
Top of windshield is about even with the bottom of my nose. Windshield is an OEM windshield.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well........did a ride early this evening and went up a long straight back road for several miles up around 55-70-mph. to see what is causing the buffeting.
Used my left hand and arm to block wind coming up from the rear of the tank sides and that helped soften the buffeting a little.
Noticed that if I put my hand a few inches above the windshield (in front of my head and helmet) the buffeting stopped immediately and definitely.
Top of windshield is about even with the bottom of my nose. Windshield is an OEM windshield.
The best bet is the lowers.

It would go away if you lowered the windshield ALOT (would require it to be cut) or if you raised it a bit.

I would encourage you NOT to raise the windshield any higher than it is. The reason for that is this; if you hit rain, or it fogs up in this cooler weather, you won't be able to see! You should always be able to see OVER the windshield.

As a new rider I struggled with the buffeting too, even considered taking the windshield off. Now, however, I have gotten used to it (with lowers) and have no problem.

Are you handy? Angling the windshield back would also work. Just installed a windshield on the wifes bike, but made home-made brackets. I mouted the windshield at the same angle as the forks (thus leaning back). I took it for a test ride, NO buffeting, even at interstate speeds. Some time ago I angled my windshield back some which also reduced buffeting.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did the same thing where I created an "air dam" a lil above the screen and the buffeting stopped. Unbelievable. And then people tell me its lowers. We shall see...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts