Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 kawasaki vulcan vn800 classic with starting issues. like an idiot, i left the key on and killed the battery. i had that battery checked and it was bad. the replace was a cheaper one and that also was checked and was bad. now i have a third that is good but it still will not start. i checked the battery cables and looked for any obvious shorts/breaks. im wondering if its the starter relay or solenoid. the lights etc come on normally but the only thing that happens when i start it, is that there is a single click sound maybe in the junction box? by the battery. i have worked on cars but new to bikes...i dont want to spend a ton of money, as i just got this bike but i also dont want an overpriced lawn ornament lol any ideas? suggestions?

·
Registered
234 Posts
If You are familiar with car electrics, everything is same on bikes. Especially on these old and primitive VN's. It would be good idea to look at wiring diagram first.
Check if there's a solenoid control voltage. Then check if the solenoid switches on and off starter power line.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
chapter 15 of the vulcan 800 service manual has a wiring diagram and there's a link to it via computer

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
on the wiring diagram i have on paper, it looks like the starter motor has a single wire going in to it and a single out to ground, from (+) battery post wire goes to main 30 amp fuse ( starter relay is with the fuse) and out that fuse(starter relay) to the starter motor then from motor to ground, the main fuse(starter relay) has 3 wires going to it (other than those 2 mentioned), these 3 would be a white (W) wire, a yellow/red (Y/R), and a ground black/yellow (BK/Y). The (Y/R) wire comes from the starter circuit relay that is inside the Junction Box, the (W) wire comes from the rectifier and also the ignition switch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts