Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used '99 Vulcan Nomad 1500G; it looked like a great deal...only 20K miles, and now I wish I had checked with this forum before buying it. I've had it less than 150mi, and now it doesn't want to shift into neutral without really working at it. I looked to the clutch master cylinder 1st because the clutch level is really tight, and the clutch engages when the level is barely away from the hand grip. The shifter is also hard between 1st, N, and 2nd. All other gears seems to shift fairly smooth. The neutral light doesn't want to come on until I jiggle the shifter. I cleaned out the clutch master cylinder supply and returns, no difference. I'm afraid I got screwed. Any advice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Live and Learn. If you own a 20 year old bike, ya gotta do the work. Replaced the clutch master cylinder, problem solved, smooth as silk.
Next project: carb is leaking...any advice?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
A 1999 bike with that few miles on it has been sitting A LOT. The carb should be torn down and inspected for silt and dried deposits, or gummed/varnished fuel. The rubber bits in it may have to be replaced, especially if they have sat dry. Diaphragms in the slide and the accelerator pump might be brittle or cracked. The good news is these carbs are pretty basic and don't take a genius to work on, fortunately for me. Here's a handy site:

http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/keihin_carb.html

Fuel filter replace
Check fork oil and seals
Watch the tires for dry rot. Old tires get chalky and you can wear a tire that looks brand new down to the belts and cords in just a few hours of fast riding. Guess how I found this out.
Check the final drive fluid to make sure it isn't sludgy. I'd just replace it.
The battery may not last long if it hasn't n been on a tender. If its the original battery I'd just replace it.
Be advised of the plastic oil gear that was in Nomads and Classics until 2000 models and forward, when they replaced it with a steel one. The Nomads had the highest failure rate, somewhere between 8 and 11% and if the gear spins out while you're riding and you don't see the warning light you only have a few seconds to shut it down before you do serious damage. There is a lot of debate whether you should worry about it or not- for some guys, that is an acceptable risk range they are willing to agree to. For others, applying the same ate to other things changes it- would we be comfortable with 10% of airliners breaking down, or 10% of doctors killing their patients? I stay out of the debate and let each guy make up his own mind about what he's comfortable with. I just wanted you to be informed in case you were not.

Good luck! These things are generally great machines. I have a friend with a 2008 Nomad and he just had the top end rebuilt at over 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take a wire and open you clutch reservoir and put it through the small hole to clean it out. If dirt clogs that hole you will have issues shifting.
Try that and see if that works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Steve, take a very small piece of wire and open the reservoir and you will see the really small hole towards the front of the bike. run the small wire through the hole and clean the hole, if dirt clogs the hole you will have issues shifting the tranny.
Let me know if that works for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts