Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have a issue finding which wires plug to what terminals on my relay. I have a white wire, a yellow/red . And a black/ yellow. Can anyone help with witch wire plugs where. On the four terminals?.

· Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
266 Posts
@Jayf1969 , First off welcome to the board.
Can you tell us what you have done a trouble shooting wise?

If you have a good batter and you are just heading a click when you hit the starter button, still have your battery checked. I good batter is really important and is one of the key fail points when trying to start a bike.

Is the starter button at least making the relay/solenoid "click"? If not then you will have to start to trace out some wires and maybe clean some connections.

Have you used a multi meter? What is your background with working on bikes. Just ask because that will help us help you with trouble shooting.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in 1987 , i was a mechanic for kawasaki in my local town, but its been a while. I dont have a ohm meter, but i have used a test light. Starter Switch is good. Battery is brand new. Engine turns over fine. But wont fire up. I took down the carburetor last night and cleaned it out. Because i used the test light turning the engine over, and it lighted up like it does have fire too the spark plugs. So let me try it again once i put the carb. Back on. I may have it solved. Fingers crossed 🤞

· Registered
23 Posts
Mostly in this case where Starter Solenoid is not working properly or even if it had some problem so there are several reasons which cause the failure or default solenoid like solenoid pull-in coil fails. The most common reason is the defective connection between them which holding the coil doesn’t release the solenoid metal contacts.

· Registered
28 Posts
If the engine is turning over, I don't think it's the starter solenoid. It is probably the kickstand safety switch (it gets dirty fails to make proper contact) and prevents the bike from starting. It's located under the kickstand near the frame. Looks like a little plunger. Spray it with some electric contact cleaner. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts