Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the decision is in...

I recently picked up this 1999 500 that as you can tell has been in an accident. I've been torn between parting it down and repairing it. I've finally reached the decision to make the repairs in my own ways. This is going to be a budget build, with a total cost target of $750 or less cash out of pocket.

I already have an '08 500 as a daily rider, and am constantly upgrading and swapping stuff around on it, so many of my take-off parts will be moved to this bike. I also have a '95 A model parts bike that will be a donor for many of the pieces needed.

First things first: I've already checked the frame, and it survived undamaged. Secondly, I do have a clear title of ownership on the bike, so it will be street legal again!

These first 4 pictures are basically in the as-found condition...

Since I can only attach 10 pictures for each post, I will be breaking this first part up into a couple segments so I can get all the pictures in...

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here we are with the bike loaded and on the way home!

Front end swap will come from my 95 A model. Yes, I know the fork tubes are a different diameter, but the steering necks both have the same dimensions, so it will be a complete triple tree swap so the front end will work. As of this date, I already have the rear turn signals and some other small parts on hand, and a much better tank on the way.

The front wheel is trashed, but I will be swapping the alloy wheels from the A model onto my daily, then the front spoke wheel from my '08 onto this bike.

Also, one other note here... I did check the tires. both are about 3 years old, and still look new. I do not trust the front tire after the impact it took, so the front tire on my daily will be swapped. The rear will most likely remain on the bike.

Total bill so far:
Front forks: $0
Front wheel: $0
Turn signals/asst small parts: $60
Better tank: $100

Total parts bill so far: $160 (trying to keep this under $500)

Known needed parts so far:
Brake light lens
Battery

Possible needed parts:
Carb kits (PO said he did drain the carb bowls about 2 weeks after the accident, but will see how well they work once everything is up and going).

On an interesting side note, if you look in the background of the 2nd picture, there is my daily parked in the driveway!

The last 3 pictures are of the A model parts bike I will be pulling a lot of parts from.

This may not be a very fast process, but I will keep this updated as I go...

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here's the first update... some pics of parts.

This was my $60 parts lot I mentioned earlier. Everything is used, bought through eBay.
Complete set of turn signals in really good condition. One lens has a scuff on it, but I have a new lens for it if there isn't one salvageable on the 99. All the turn signals on that bike are broken/missing/changed, so these are needed.
Clutch lever
Cluster center plate with indicator lights (missing from bike when purchased)
Chain guard (missing from bike)
Rubber tank bushings (Only 1 was on the bike)
I've been very happy with the seller, dccmoto . They do negotiate on their list prices within reason, and the parts have turned out to be better than expected. Their ads have the actual parts, but everything I have purchased has turned up looking better than the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also picked up a new to me tank, also from dccmoto.

$100 as shown in the pics. No petcock or cap, but I'll swap the goods over from the old tank. The inside looks close to new. For the money, I was expecting to have to seal the tank, but even with a scope to see all the way down into the tank, I don't see any rust worth mentioning. There is a dent, but I knew that going into the transaction. However the dent actually looked larger in the pictures on the ad than it does in person, so another pleasant surprise there. I may even be able to pop most of the dent out to save on bodywork...

The black and blue tank came with the 99. It was caved in pretty decent, then it looks like the PO tried to hammer the dent out from inside the tank. Unless someone is willing to do some major work on it, this tank is pretty much done for in my opinion. It'll go on the shelf for an emergency tank or base for some future project...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts