Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first attempt at engine work.....

I recently took off the cover of my vulcan 800 clutch to investigate some noise I was having only to find out it was not in the clutch area. As I was re-installing the cover I have come to the point of putting the engine oil and anti-freeze back into the bike to start it up but when I pull the clutch lever to shift into neutral, I cannot move the gear level. I made sure to adjust the clutch cable to work properly so I am a little concerned that I did something wrong, or do I need to put the fluids back in and start the bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pulling the clutch lever to shift into neutral while the bike is off and not moving doesn't really have much effect. Before you panic, just try rocking the bike back and forth a bit, then try neutral. While you're rocking, and before you actually pop it into neutral, you can test to see if the clutch is, in fact, disengaging.

If that fails, I think we need a bit more information on what you did while you were poking around in there that convinced you the noise "was not in the clutch area" before we can speculate on what's going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trainer,
I will try this out when I get off work today.

As for why I went poking around is because the bike is making a grinding when in motion and acts like there is a high stop on a rotor/break pad. I have ruled out the rotor/break pad issue by getting the bike off the ground and spinning the tire. Then I started the bike and put it into gear and experienced the grinding/high spot issue. From things I read on the internet, it might be the clutch so I took off the cover to look at it. Everything on that side looked good, so now I think it might be in the transmission, which is waaaaay beyond my skill set, even with a service manual.

Thanks again

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ah, okay.

Thanks for the info.

A warped brake rotor is something you'd almost certainly feel through the pedal or lever -- depending on if it was front or rear, of course. And, honestly, I can't think of a time I've heard of a warped rotor on a motorcycle that wasn't being raced. What we have is beefy as heck and they do sit out there in the air, unlike car rotors that don't normally get the greatest air circulation.

A transmission that was making enough grinding noise to make you take off the clutch cover would most likely have already been showing some far uglier symptoms, so at least for now, I think you can relax about that.

Assuming this hasn't healed itself through the magic power of someone looking for the problem, let us know under exactly what conditions you hear the noise. Will it change if you coast with the clutch in? Present at all speeds, and does it change pitch or rapidity with speed? Will it do it if you coast in neutral?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy Cow Trainer,

Either you are psychic or you have excellent knowledge of my problem because you described it to a T.

The noise will go away if you coast with the clutch in? The noise is present at all speeds, and changes pitch or rapidity with speed. Do you have an idea of what the issue could be?

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Holy Cow Trainer,

Either you are psychic or you have excellent knowledge of my problem because you described it to a T.

The noise will go away if you coast with the clutch in? The noise is present at all speeds, and changes pitch or rapidity with speed. Do you have an idea of what the issue could be?

Thanks again for all your help.
I can assure you that if I was psychic I'd be at the horse track and I would not have ridden a $2500 2007 bike there! I was just asking questions, but thanks.

So, if I understand correctly, the noise rate -- how quickly it is repeated -- is dependent on road speed, not at all on engine speed. That would be very good news, indeed. The first suspects in that case are things on the chassis, as, indeed, you first suspected. I note you said you rotated the "wheel" -- singular. Typo? If not, how about the other wheel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts