Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a 97 Vulcan 1500. I do not have spark. I took it to a shop and they told me the problem was the cdi box, i replaced the cdi box and i still currently have no spark. Could anyone point me in the right direction before i sell it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picozzi55,

I'm a "newbie" both to the forum and to the Vulcan 1500, joining as I bought a disassembled 99 Vulcan Nomad 1500 to re-build. Now that you have my disclaimer, here's what I learned from this site to diagnose a "no spark" issue.

1. Test battery - it must put out a minimum of 12.8 volts. Charge it or replace it if it doesn't.
2. Check the fuses
3. Test kickstand safety switch. If it fails, the bike will not get a spark regardless if the kickstand is up or down.
4. Test the neutral switch - same as 4, if it fails the bike won't spark
5. Test oil pressure switch
6. Test the ignition coils.

I got a multi-meter (Harbor Freight, $6.00, the instructions will teach you enough to perform the necessary steps).
Now, steps 1-3 took less than 15 minutes and most of that time was in Harbor Freight. I made it step 4 when I found I had a bad kickstand switch. I'm just OCD enough that I disassembled mine to see why it failed and easily fixed it (re-bent the contacts and cleaned it up a bit).

I never made it to steps 4-6 as I got spark and she fired right up (with a little coaxing/starter fluid).

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOLVED!!!

I dinally found the problem after buying a new cdi box, new coils, new starter switch, new plugs and wires. The problem was.... the “TIP” sensor was hanging upside down. 🤷‍♂️😴😞😔

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well at least you have a nice fresh ignition system! I'm glad you found your problem.

To answer the other chap, a tip switch shuts down the bike if it gets to strange angles relative to the earth, if it tips over or whatever. It's a safety shutoff in case you dump the bike. To be honest I did not know our bikes had tip switches but it stands to reason that they do. Kawasaki seemed to have safety interconnects on the mind when they set up the Vulcan line of machines.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Well at least you have a nice fresh ignition system! I'm glad you found your problem.

To answer the other chap, a tip switch shuts down the bike if it gets to strange angles relative to the earth, if it tips over or whatever. It's a safety shutoff in case you dump the bike. To be honest I did not know our bikes had tip switches but it stands to reason that they do. Kawasaki seemed to have safety interconnects on the mind when they set up the Vulcan line of machines.
According to my documentation, they do not. That is why I asked.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
According to my documentation, they do not. That is why I asked.
Mine sure didn't shut off when it fell over on a corner in some sand on the road that I didn't see until I was halfway through the turn. Fortunately I was nearly able to bring it to a stop before it went over and the crash bars and saddle bags kept the bike from damage. But it didnt shut off and I never heard of such a thing on a Vulcan.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Usually, carb bikes do not include a TIP sensor as they quit (not always) when on their side.
Not so with fuel injected machines. That could be why the TIP sensor is included on such.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Usually, carb bikes do not include a TIP sensor as they quit (not always) when on their side.
Not so with fuel injected machines. That could be why the TIP sensor is included on such.

Agreed, would not really be needed on on a Carbed bike. And just noticed this was a thread for a 97. My bad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts