Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've run into a problem that I cannot seem to fix. This is a new purchase, think the bike sat for a period of time. Problem I am having is once I put the bike in gear and release the clutch the bike will stall. I first thought it was the kick stand switch but I ruled that out. I release the clutch about 80% then she dies on me. I almost feel like she isn't getting enough fuel once she is under distress.

Here is a list of things that I have done so far:

Applied generous amounts of Seafoam
Moderately cleaned the Carbs
Changed the Battery

I am replacing the air filter and giving her an oil change this week.

Any suggestions please send them my way!

Thanks,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first I bypassed and closed the circuit. But based on my limited knowledge of the switch the bike would stall as soon as the clutch was released. In my case i can get the gear to engage and begin pushing the bike but when it gets about 80% released it stalls.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Raise back wheel off of ground.
2. Start bike, and at idle, put in gear.
3. Release clutch and if engine quits, the fault lies with the interlock circuit.
4. If it does not, then the problem is elsewhere.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought a bike that had been sitting for 4 years and was having a similar problem. It was a diaphragm in the carb that needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your clutch switch for a secure connection. Pull apart and look for any corrosion if it seems secure.
Assuming the switch is directly below the clutch lever and to the right of the button for the horn, it seems a strong connection and clean of any corrosion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a bike that had been sitting for 4 years and was having a similar problem. It was a diaphragm in the carb that needed to be replaced.
How did you determine it was the diaphragm? What can I do to trouble shoot it. It makes sense its a fuel delivery problem and not electrical.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How did you determine it was the diaphragm? What can I do to trouble shoot it. It makes sense its a fuel delivery problem and not electrical.
Honestly, we brought it to a shop. DH doesn't like to play with carbs and since it would only stay running with the choke out, he had a good idea that it was something with the carbs.

The guy at the shop said these bikes don't like to sit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts