Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm running into a problem with a new purchase. I bought this '96 Vulcan a few weeks ago and I am having trouble, I believe the bike sat for an extended period of time and she won't idle properly, she is fine at full choke but when its closed she cuts out, also can't give her any throttle.

So far I've used a generous amount of Seafoam, I attempted taking the Carb apart and replaced the old gas.

Next on my list is replacing the air filter, but waiting for it to arrive.

Any ideas please send them my way.

Thanks,
Frustrated new owner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok making progress. Got her to idle with a closed choke. Now she quits on me when I put her in first gear. Applied more Seafoam, seems to be working. Any other ideas let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the stall takes place as I release the clutch, while in gear. I get her in gear then as I get half way from releasing the clutch she dies on me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I eliminated the stand switch. I tried starting her with the stand down no clutch and nothing, pulled the clutch and she started so I think the switch is ok.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still having trouble with the clutch, I got her in first gear release the clutch to about 90% released and then she quits.

Need suggestions

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking at the switch I see that the plunger seems to be ceased, is it supposed to simply make contact with the side stand or is it supposed to retract? I can't seem to find any decent resources online and wanted to know before I bypassed it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
After looking at the switch I see that the plunger seems to be ceased, is it supposed to simply make contact with the side stand or is it supposed to retract? I can't seem to find any decent resources online and wanted to know before I bypassed it.
It should push in when contact is made.Give it a good shot of penetrating fluid.That may free it up,or just by-pass it. ;) :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've got it apart, for giggles I bypassed the switch and I'm having the same issue. Completely stuck and no idea what to look at now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping its that easy, I have the old one still in there. Also I didn't think of this earlier but I never replaced the fuel filter. So I hope these two will help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts