Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
44K miles. Garage kept. Bike has had factory FAR & set up with coasters, carb set up, V&H exhaust, K&N intake years ago.
Bike will shut off as RPMs go up. Cranks right back up. Went through carburetor/fuel system with thorough carb cleaning. New spark plugs. New fuel pump/filter. One year old Yuasa battery with good connections/power. Put it back together, cranked, rode in neighborhood. Ran great. Went home to put on riding gear for longer ride and problem reappears as soon as I refired engine.
Seems to be an ignition collapse. As soon as it occurs I can pull in clutch & roll back throttle to idle to keep engine alive most of the time. Both cylinders cut out.
Verified carb bowl full of fuel.
Are these symptoms of an ECU failing?
Checking ignition switch solder connections now. Looks OK but could use cleaning. Recently replaced clutch switch.
Any ideas? What are symptoms of failing ignitor/CPU module?
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Check sidestand switch for being dirty, loose connection, out of adjustment, etc.
You can temporarily test by shorting two wire together and see if problem goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much!
Indeed the moving arm was loose and there was a small oil leak under engine cover so switch was covered in oil. I feel confident this is the problem. Took switch apart, cleaned, and reassembled. Part on order to fix oil leak. I’ll let you know if this doesn’t solve problem but I’m optimistic this is it.
Thanks again!
BTW, what are symptoms of an ignitor issue?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts