Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm helping my (non-mechanic) friend get his Vulcan 750 rolling again. I have 40 years of experience working on my 40 and 50 year old bikes, but none with any of these new fangeled vacuum actuated petcocks! It is a '94 Vulcan A10 with only 12K miles. His OEM petcock (fuel tap) is leaking and not reliably passing fuel to the carb (even with vacuum applied). The petcock on the '94 does not have the "pri" setting. It has an Off, On and Reserve setting. The part number is 51023-1187 and seems to be only used on the '94. It appears to be available and I'm about to order it. As many of you know, the ON and RESV positions were designed to pass fuel when engine vacuum is present. I believe OFF should really be off. I personally like that OFF is off. But in this case OFF did not stop the petcock from passing a small dribble of fuel (to the carbs) and when the bowls were full, leaking dripping fuel externally out the petcock weep hole :frown2:. Hence the replacement.

Here are my questions:

-I'm suspicious that this version of the petcock (with this part #) was only available in '94. Anybody know why?
-How can an owner of a '94 prime the carbs after running the carbs dry for winter storage? (or in the event the bike runs out of fuel (and stalls) before switching to reserve???) Is there enough vacuum developed, by cranking the engine, to open the petcock?
-Is there a torque spec on the petcock to tank bolts?
-How do I identify this as a California air package bike or a 49 state model? It was likely originally bought in Mass and their DMV requires cars to be equipped with the CA stuff.

Thank you in advance for helping me help my friend get his V rolling again!

·
Registered
89 Posts
All the petcocks for the VN750 are the same for all years. I thing the 1st year or two 85, 86 they might have had a prime on them. Cranking the engine does have enough vacuum, that's how it was designed. I think you have the wrong part #. Try this link here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shark,
Thanks for replying. As for the part number, I was using the Kawasaki.com web site.
Parts Diagram
And cross checked it with the partzilla.com web site which has proven reliable for my bikes.

The part that your link provided sure looks right and according to partzilla fits 04-06 VN750s
51023-1392 TAP-ASSY,FUEL $90.50 ($65 +$9 ship)

I'm guessing all the vn750 petcock part numbers are superceeded by the 51023-1392, because it looks like it will fit great. One gas line is at a slightly different angle.

Also thank you for settling my question about cranking vacuum being enough to get the juice flowing. I'm glad the new petcocks actually have an OFF position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts