Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out what color wires go where on my 1993 Vulcan 88. I bought it used, it's got a lot of miles on it. It sat up for about 2 yrs. It seems like it's all there and stock. Not all hacked up. The CDI box was fried, there was a hole burnt through it when I removed the guts of the box to take a look after I determined the box to be bad as I was told so by the previous owner and ordered a used replacement. I cleaned the carbs twice as once I achieved spark, I was not receiving fuel, or enough fuel. The plugs were not wet and could still not start the bike the second cleaning however I set the air mixture screw on both carbs back to factory 2 1/4. This gave me the ability to fire the engine up after some many cranks over with aid of starting fluid. Once she finally ran, the idle, throttle response, and all seemed to me anyway to be running very well but it sounded while cranking like I was firing 1 front, one rear at the same time on each side. There was a used set of coils in the saddle bags that had the harness for the coils still attached and I noticed these had the wires to the terminal on the coil in different places than how the bike came to me. I am aware one coil is for the front and one is for the rear. Is it black/red for the front and black/green for the rear, or is there one of each on each coil? Does it matter which post the terminal connects to on that coil.

My next question and I am not sure if this is proper posting is my start button would not fire the starter. I have read lots of posts and did battery test with key off key on key on wait five minutes but I'd really like some help tracing the problem to the source as I can jump the solenoid and it cranks but this does not activate the fuel pump. I did jumper the run/stop switch and wired a 20 amp push button start switch for testing purposes only. When pushed I hear the fuel pump and here a click but the click if I put my hand on the regulator, it feels like it's coming from in side the regulator.
Thank you for any help with this. Huge fan of sfair and his methodical patient approach and knowledge of these types of problems. If at all anyone can help I am very mechanically inclined and just need some step by step guidance as I am a motorcycle noob and only have successfully worked on and fixed one other Vulcan 800.
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add that the air mixture screws were set at 4.5 to 6.5 turns out when I got the motorcycle. But when I cleaned the carbs the second time, I lost the piece of paper I noted what the actual setting was. But I know it was way more out than what it is as I set it back to factory

1 - 5 of 5 Posts