Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a couple months, a couple hundred dollars, a few beers, and lots of cursing I finally got my Vulcan 500 to start up. Only problem is that it won't idle very well, and the carbs will not stop filling up with gas, dumping it out of the overflow, dumping it into the airbox, AND leaking out of the engine.

When I got the bike the carbs were broken and needed replaced. I looked and looked but could not find replacement carbs for an EN500, but found that the EX500 carbs would work. After a thorough cleaning, replacing all the gaskets, and the float needle I thought I was good to go.

Once I started having these issues I thought it might be the seat that the float needle sets into, I gave those a thorough cleaning as well but I'm still having these issues. What should I try to stop the carbs from overflowing? Could it be my petcock? I'm at a loss here.

· Registered
182 Posts
It could be the seats, which cannot be purchased as a separate item, but are incorporated in the carb. body. They can be removed using heat, not easy, but possible. If you went down this road, you would need to find replacement seats, from some used carbs, and of course, there is no guarantee that they would be perfect.

I had a similar problem with my 91, but I was lucky to find a good set of used carbs and did a complete swap. I too had replaced the floats, gaskets etc and by process of elimination, concluded it was the seats.

Try some in depth careful cleaning of the seats,(Google search this and you will find some good techniques) If you can get hold of an ultrasound cleaner, try that.

The petcock is vacuum operated, so when the engine is switched off, and the petcock is in the ON or RES position, no fuel should be entering the carbs. Good luck with this.

· Registered
3 Posts
petcock

Pull the main flow tube from the petcock while the engine is off, i just diagnosed the same problem on my 2000. I was having the same issue as you and when i went to pull everything apart as soon as i pulled the hose off fuel was flowing. Drained the tank, pulled apart the petcock and cleaned it. Put everything back together, screws tight as possible,and no more flow. Try that or replace the petcock. All that fuel in your air box will restrict power. I was actually blowing smoke the other day which prompted the repair. You might have to re jet to get proper flow as well.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....I come to you humbly, with my head hung low.

I had the overflow tube and the main gas tube switched. So I was dumping gas into the top of the carbs instead of into the bowl. Rookie mistake.

The good news is that I took the bike out for the first time yesterday, hell of a lot of fun!

The bad news is that the temp light came on and it started leaking coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.