Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

It seems I also have a clutch issue I need some help resolving.
I dumped my bike back in October '13 and it hasn't been running since. Tore the carbs apart and fixed them up and since it was down I decided to replace the clutch spring because I had been having issues with the clutch not fully disengaging. When I would try to put the bike in first gear, from a dead stop, it would often grind the gears pretty badly before lurching into first.

I picked up a Barrett clutch spring, and threw that in. Thought I used enough grease to make sure none of the washers fell down after triple checking that they were in the correct orientation. Turns out I didn't use enough grease to hold them and one got pinched and severely deformed.

So I replaced that bad boy with a brand new one (OEM, not Judge's), used a liberal amount of grease (bearing grease to be specific, as per the manual). Again, I triple checked the order of the springs, installed the clutch pack and despite the much heavier feel through the lever, couldn't seem to get the bike to go into gear, even rolling it around on the garage floor with the engine off.

I pulled the clutch master cylinder cover, flushed the system, bled it and came across a leak in the seal between the release assembly and the crank case (hard black plastic). So I picked up another one of those, swapped it in and bled the clutch again.

Now, I can get the bike to go into gear when it's off, and with a pump or two on the lever I can get the clutch to disengage enough to have the bike roll while in gear, but when I fire it up there's no way it'll go into gear.

I don't really want to just aimlessly replace parts or tear absolutely everything apart and start over unless I absolutely have to. Any thoughts on where to start?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I've had this issue since Aug 2014 and have asked a few times since then but haven't had much luck in getting to the bottom of it. Hopefully an update on what I've done will help someone point me in the right direction cause I'd really like to ride this year.

I pulled the master cylinder apart, ran some fine wire through the two holes. Fluid is flowing well.

Pulled the slave cylinder off. Inspected the piston, seal and housing. All look good. Thoroughly cleaned it and installed it with a new "gasket" (The hard plastic spacer between the slave cylinder and the engine block)

Bled the system yet again with brand new fluid. No air bubbles.
Pulled the cover off and checked the bevel washers. They were fine but replaced them with 3 brand new ones. Reinstalled the Barrett spring with no luck. Pulled the Barrett spring and reinstalled the original spring. Same result. The outer cover on the clutch pack only moves just short of 3/16 " with a full squeeze on the clutch lever.

When I pulled the slave cylinder off and looked at its movement in relation to the lever I'm getting the same about of movement.

I have a master cylinder rebuild kit on order and it should be here next week so I'll install that to see if it gets me anywhere, but does anyone else have any ideas what might be the issue?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice waldowales. I removed the clutch pack and disassembled it, reassembled and reinstalled as per the manual. That didn't help so I tore apart the master cylinder and rebuilt that but somehow things got worse.
I was listening to the slave cylinder while squeezing the lever and it sounded a little squishy in there so I decided to replace bleeder screw (since I'd had it open and closed a bunch and it was starting to round a little), installed a new cup for the slave piston since I was ordering parts anyway and also put new compression washers all around.

When bleeding the system, after doing the trick to where you put your thumb over the output for the master cylinder to build pressure I put the bolt back in I did notice something strange. Whenever I would let the lever release fully, the portion of the pull would make the fluid 'fountain' a little but I would also get air coming up through the small hole. I kept tapping at the lever and more and more air would come out. I did that a while till no more air came out of the small hole, then bled as normal.

Now when I pull about 1/2 the lever the clutch disengages enough to roll the bike when it's in gear. I'll be putting the side cover on tomorrow and hopefully when I fire it up I'll be able to drop it into gear no problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI, i had a problem with clutch, 1500 nomad, clutch would pull in, drop in gear, but wouldn't move once clutch was released. Turns out it was the slave cylinder. There was a tiny lip of gunk, not rust, but a build up in the slave that the piston would have trouble getting past. I rebuilt the master and slave, cleaned the cylinder with 1500 paper and cleaning fluid. Put back together, no problem any more. Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
05mach1 I'll have to give that a try today. I tore apart the master and made sure everything was put together properly and everything looked ok. I fired the bike up and could get it to go into gear if the revs were really low but as soon as they picked up at all it was a no-go. It would just rattle around.

When I pull the lever, I can hear a squishing noise coming from the slave cylinder. It's directly related to the lever position and any slight movement in the lever produces a corresponding noise from the slave. Is that normal? I figured it was just the new rubber seal doing a good job of sealing the backside of the piston.
I'm gonna pull that off again and give it a quick sand (around the circumference so I don't make grooves for the fluid to run by the seal).

WRT the slave. The seal I have to bolt that back onto the engine is just a plastic space. It's also got a notch in the housing at the bottom that doesn't seal. What is the purpose of this part? Just a spacer?

I'm really at my wits end with this. Replaced everything except the housings at this point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the slave cylinder, sanded and reset the piston then put it all back together. Bled the system again and still don't have enough clutch to get the bike into gear.

Got out my trust soap and water to see if anything is leaking. Turns out the 'squishing' is coming from the plastic seal between the slave cylinder and the engine. It basically just vents the air as the slave piston pushes in on the clutch shaft to prevent an air lock in the dry chamber. I likely have some brake fluid forming a slight seal which is causing the squishing and if it were dry I likely wouldn't hear anything. So I can't find a way air is getting into the system, I just don't have enough action when pulling the clutch to get it to disengage.

Maybe somehow my lever is bent and is sitting too close to the bar? Is there a measurement I can go by? It feels pretty close to the brake for distance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up a vacuum bleeder today. It's back to working how it did pre-clutch spring replacement. Clunks fairly hard into first gear, but with the clutch in I can rev it and it doesn't feel like the bike wants to take off on me so I suppose it's working alright. I couldn't get it to upshift into 2nd while the bike was stationary though. No rattle, no noise, just felt like if I was in top gear and tried to go up one. It's been 2 years since it was last running so I can't remember if I was able to shift into 2nd with the bike just sitting.

Hopefully this weekend I'll take it for a quick run down the driveway. I don't have insurance on it and found out the stator isn't charging so I have to figure that out before I can take it out for a run.

·
Registered
331 Posts
cp, you may know this, but that thick black plastic gasket that goes under slave next to engine LOOKS like it will install in any direction w/the 3 holes. No. Although the bolts go in and you can tighten it, the holes are off a couple mm-- it only goes on perfectly ONE WAY. You may have cracked it. I cracked one two days ago, it's how I know. Because it's black, the crack was hard to see. The threads on one bolt caught the hole in the plastic and made a hairline fracture. I only found out because I heard a faint 'click' as I tightened. Had I been listening to music, I never would have known. I had a spare believe it or not!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts