Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 92 en500 and it is hard to get started. The carb was flooding really bad but after taking it apart to clean I noticed that the needle jet on one of the carbs was missing. I replaced it and cleaned the carbs but the bike is still hard to start and now it has a high idle even after the idle adjustment has been adjusted all the way down. I've adjusted the butterfly valves in the carb but still no luck. When trying to start the bike it will back fire. When it is running the bike revs up really well but still has a high idle. I unhooked the vacuum line to the right carb and the idle drops down. Ive changed the spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil and charged the battery but takes alot of trying to get it started even with starting fluid. Can anyone tell me how the vacuum lines are connected? The right carb has a line from the carb to the air switch valve and the left carb has a line from the carb to the gas tank. I wasn't able to do much work on it but I'm going to tear into it this weekend to see what I can figure out. Any advice would be great with my issues. Thank yo .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got the idle figured out. Now my only problem is that it has a slight smoke coming from the left exhaust. Doesn't smell like oil smoke but this was the side that the carb was missing the needle jet. Going to take it on a short cruise tomorrow to see if that helps. Haven't checked the valves yet but if the valves are needing to be shimmed would that cause it to smoke a little?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
No that shouldn't cause any smoke. (valves have screw adjusters not shims).It may clear out when you go for a ride. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. So if the valves need adjusted I can remove the valve cover on the engine and adjust the valves? Everything I've found showed that you have to replace the shims in order to adjust the intake and exhaust valve. And any advice on why the bike is so hard to start?

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you just got the bike, the tank could be filled with bad gas. Also, the battery could be kaput or the plugs could be fouled... especially if the bike is/was running rich.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've replaced the gas. Cleaned the carbs and replaced the spark plugs. It runs great but it's hard to start. Once it is running it revs up great and after taking it out for a 5 mile cruise it stopped smoking. I've tried starting it with full choke, half choke and no choke and get the same result every time. It takes about 1 min give or take to get it running and drains down the battery trying to start it. After it is warmed up and I shut it off and try to start it agian, it is still hard to start. It sputters and backfires into the carb when starting. Is there anything I can check or adjust that would help?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've replaced the gas. Cleaned the carbs and replaced the spark plugs. It runs great but it's hard to start. Once it is running it revs up great and after taking it out for a 5 mile cruise it stopped smoking. I've tried starting it with full choke, half choke and no choke and get the same result every time. It takes about 1 min give or take to get it running and drains down the battery trying to start it. After it is warmed up and I shut it off and try to start it agian, it is still hard to start. It sputters and backfires into the carb when starting. Is there anything I can check or adjust that would help?
Valve adjustment. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Blaine that link really helps. I plan on adjusting the valves as soon as I have time and will post the results when done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts