Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read and offer input on this issue, thanks again.

I purchased a 1992 EN500 Vulcan with 40k on it 2 years ago. It has a shifting problem...

- It has a hard shift into first

- It miss shifts between first and second (always get neutral) and have to double, triple, quadruple clutch it to get it to go.

- Third, fourth, fifth etc are all smooth and good.

I suspect sticking clutch plates. I use Kawasaki oil, I used the dino at first then switched to synth to see if that would help but actually made the shifting worse.
I was thinking of putting new clutch plates and springs etc in her, and was looking for some feedback before I go that route.

Thanks again, Cheers!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Sounds like sticking clutch plates to me also.
Pour Seafoam in the oil before changing it and run it for about 50 miles (or go by the instructions on the bottle). It will clean the engine and will Not hurt the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like sticking clutch plates to me also.
Pour Seafoam in the oil before changing it and run it for about 50 miles (or go by the instructions on the bottle). It will clean the engine and will Not hurt the clutch.

That's a great idea, I never even thought of it and I use seafoam all the time. I will definitely try this first. i'll let ya know how she went. Thanks for the advice!

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
That's a great idea, I never even thought of it and I use seafoam all the time. I will definitely try this first. i'll let ya know how she went. Thanks for the advice!
I do that every time I change my oil.. put some seafoam in there first and run it around awhile..

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Just for the record I have tried Seafoam for this problem on 2 different bikes. On one bike it worked but not on the other (might have not left it in there long enough). Good luck and let us know works out.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
I do that every time I change my oil.. put some seafoam in there first and run it around awhile..
That's a great idea to add Seafoam before every oil change. Going to start doing this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a quick update...

I fired in a can of Seafoam. I went for a short ride, and the shifting has greatly improved already. The reason I didn't go for too long a ride is I hear a lot of what I think is cam chain slap/slack. I looked into this and thus, before I go for another ride I'm replacing the CCT (cam chain tensioner) with a second generation (post 94) one, $84 from the dealer. I'll update once I get that tensioner in, looks like a fairly straight forward job. That Seafoam is catsass!

Thanks again, :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts