Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on why my 92 en500 is really hard to start. It has new gas, new plugs, cleaned the carbs, Adjusted the valves to spec, charged battery to full, and even tried starting fluid but it is still hard to start. Ive tried full choke, half choke and no choke when starting it. It will crank and crank and fire a little bit now and then. It will backfire into the carbs sometimes when trying to start it. then all of a sudden start right up. It runs great when it is started. Doesnt smoke or even sputter when it is running. Stays running and idles great. I've taken it on a 5 mile ride and shut it off and tried to start it back up and I have the same problem with it not starting. When i got the bike it wasnt running. Had carb issues with flooding but cleaned and replaced the float valves and the needle jet was missing in one of the carbs but I replaced it and no more flooding issues. I'm trying to figure out what else I can look into on it before taking it to a mechanic and spend alot of money. Can someone please give me some options on why it isn't starting.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You obviously know your way around wrenching, so please don't be offended by these "shot in the dark" comments.

could petcock be defective in some ways? (very far out, but maybe it is stuck on prime or something else)
Air cleaner blocked very dirty?
Do you have an inline gas filter that may be messed up?
Did you try any Seafoam in the gas tank or other additive
(Now I am out of dumb questions.)

It sounds to me that you have done several sensible things already..I imagine it must be very frustrating to you..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. Im searching for anything right now. I could have missed something simple. The petcock doesn't have a prime. Just on off and res. I put seafoam in with the fresh gas when I got the bike. I just check the fuel vent tube and it is not kinked. If the carb floats are not adjusted right could that cause this problem? I haven't tested the float level yet. Thanks agian. Any thing helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've adjusted the pilot screws when I had it running and just adjusted them to how the engine sounded and how it reved up. Is there a spec for adjusting them?

·
Registered
255 Posts
nowhere in your comments do you mention spark plugs

fresh, correct type and heat range, gapped, and torqued?

Also the spark plug caps contain a brass lug, a spring and resistor....
all are present and lug is tight?

you cleared pilot jets and paths when doing your carbs? Using compressed air?

regardless I would recommend setting those fuel levels.

One last comment, admittedly i'm more familiar with the EX500...
but a well tuned example starts at the touch of the button, as should your EN.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've adjusted the pilot screws when I had it running and just adjusted them to how the engine sounded and how it reved up. Is there a spec for adjusting them?
Adjust to highest & smoothest idle. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did replace the plugs but I replaced them with what was already in the bike when I got it. I will do some research to find out if they are the right plugs that I bought. I did not clear the pilot screws with compressed air so I will have to tear the carbs off and re do them. When i get the bike running, i will adjust the pilot screw a little more to the highest idle and smoothest idle. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 500A models use NGK D9EA plugs gapped to .026-.028.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plugs that I bought were the d9ea. Doing some research I found some things that said to use the dr9ea with the resistor built in to the plug. I did not check the gap on my plugs but will be doing it this weekend. Unfortunately when I got the bike it had a dead spot in the starter. After taking it apart I've found out that I need to rebuild the starter so I have parts on order but not going to be here till around the 22nd so I'm just going to take the carbs apart and clean them fully( idle screw and all ) I'm going to check the gap on the plugs and wait till the rebuild kit for my starter comes in. If non of this fixes the problem then I'm take it to someone that can fix it. If anyone has some more options on what's going on please replay with them. I'm desperate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I figured out what was wrong with my bike and why it wasn't starting. I had to rebuild the starter and figured it out but not sure how and what I need to fix it yet. Figured I would ask you guys first. When I replaced the starter I tested it before putting it all back together and noticed that when I try to start the bike the starter Looks like it is slipping. The starter works great and the starter chain spins but it isn't catching like it should. Anyone have a step by step or video on how to fix this. And know what parts I would need to fix it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've done some research and found out I need a starter clutch rebuild kit but not seeming to find exactly what I need and not sure how to repair. Does anyone have a link to the parts and any directions on fixing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts