Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, I picked up a mildly neglected 1992 Vulcan 500. It had sat in a guy's shop for years... The PO I bought it from had intentions to do something with it, but just never got around to it.

I was able to pick the bike up for $180.

When I picked it up, it needed:

Battery
New positive battery wire.
Fuel Tank
New Ignition switch (keys were lost, ignition was cut out along the way)
Wouldn't start

After a good carb clean, and wiring in a toggle switch, I was able to get it started. For the moment, I have a funnel and fuel line rigged up to act as "fuel tank." There were a number of missing/burned out bulbs as well. Easy stuff.

I am thrilled.

Originally, I had intended to get this one running and flip it for some cash into the next project. At this point...for no more than I'm into it...I think I am going to make a bobber out of it. Basically, build it the way I want to ride it, and along the way if someone wants to pay for it...GREAT.

So, my initial thoughts are...

Find a peanut style sportster tank to bolt to the backbone.
Tractor Supply rear fender.
Either wire a key back in...or keep everything on a master toggle and hide it somewhere.
Simplify the gauges (maybe)
Simple seat with velcro panel battery cover.

I'm also debating deleting the airbox...but not sure I want to mess with that.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
Thought? Strip it down to bare knuckles and brillo-pad all the aluminum and chrome. Think Exile cycles-type brushed finish. I'd do a new ignition, but place it somewhere tucked away to keep it bare as possible just in case somebody sees you start it and waits for you to walk away.

That's just my opinion, but I love that look =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love that look too. My intention is to do things a bit at a time while I ride it. I think that look would compliment the bike nicely.

Just depends on how much time I want to spend I suppose.

At this point, I'm searching for a tank. That purchase will probably drive the look. Right now, I'm thinking Sportster-style top-mounted tank...then the question is what style. Probably have to go low tunnel...just to make sure it clears everything...I don't want my coils hanging out there.

The other option is to find a 454 ltd tank, since my understanding is that they bolt right up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So at this point, I am moving slowly.

I sent all my paperwork off to get the title bonded before I start anything irreversible.

The bike has been gone through. It runs/drives/stops well. Replaced the plugs yesterday. (Left side was pretty black, I adjusted the carb accordingly. The right side was good color.)

The emissions junk has been removed. Right now, the PAIR valves have been capped with big vacuum caps until I can get the block off plates in. The bike seems to be a bit happier, but it could be my imagination...or the new plugs.

Last night, I began taking a 3M pad to the front fender and forks. It is going to look great once it is done. I have always loved that Exile cycles look. Black and brushed is where I plan to go.

Since I am missing a side cover, my plan is to fabricate some covers to match with sheet aluminum and wire mesh. I think it will compliment the look of the bike nicely...and keep everything in place. (Right now, my starter solenoid and one of the relays want to "fall" out of their locations a bit.)

I'm going to take some cardboard and start making a template for the covers this evening. It will surely be a work in progress for a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts