Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon guys..i got a question. i just swapped bars n tires on my vulcan.. bike starts up fine. i put it in to gear. if i really give it throttle it moves a little. its like its not fully going in to gear. any suggestions. i tightened the clutch cable ..im stuck!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
if you swapped bars the cable may be too long now or out of adjustement.
Screw with it more, and make sure it's moving freely.
If it's binding it will engage the gear but not release to engage the clutch fully. Causing that type of problem.
Maybe the new bars are too ugly and the bike doesn't like them:D
I bet the old bars would make it work.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
The clutch lever should have "about" 1/4 inch of free play before it pulls on cable.
Do not forget the adjustment at the clutch lever on the engine. The cable must not be pulling on the clutch release lever when clutch is released.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm assuming it was running fine before you made the changes? Is it making any unusual noises? Most of the time when I hear your complaint, it is the final drive splines stripped out. With the bike on the centerstand, and the engine in gear, can you turn the rear wheel by hand?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm assuming it was running fine before you made the changes? Is it making any unusual noises? Most of the time when I hear your complaint, it is the final drive splines stripped out. With the bike on the centerstand, and the engine in gear, can you turn the rear wheel by hand?
x2

The final drive splines wearing out is a very common problem for these bikes due to many of them coming with little or no grease on them from the factory.

Of course with changing out the handlebars, you could very well have the clutch cable poorly adjusted and the clutch is not engaging. Here's hoping for a easy (and cheap) fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One thing that will effect clutch engagement, even with the cable properly adjusted at the lever, is how the fitting at the other end of the cable is adjusted on the splined output shaft on the front bevel gear case. There is a little raised area on the gear case, and the gap in that fitting needs to line up with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts