Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum but not to biking.I'm seriously concidering getting a
900 Classic or Custom(still deciding). I've searched the forum and have found
very little information about longevity issues or any high mile examples of the 900.I knoww this motor has not been out in service very long but it would be good to here about any high milers and or problems associated with high miles.
thanks
P.S. great forum,good info,and good attitudes

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome aboard! We have an '07 VN900 Classic with just over 14k on it, no problems at all.

·
Registered
533 Posts
One member on another forum was considering one with almost 30K miles. The resident guru there, a very well versed member who wrenches his own rides and knows just about everything there is about Kawi cruisers, made the statement that if the bike is properly cared for there is no reason it shouldn't make 100K miles. I have almost 8K on mine in the last year with absolutely no troubles whatsoever. A far cry from 100K, but in all my readings on the 900, I've come to the conclusion that other than an occasional problem, they are darn near bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have always heard, in general, the watercooled engines can run 40-50-60k miles without too much problem as long as the care is there. The aircooled engines are a different story, running 30-40k until engine issues occur. I have only been able to get one bike up to 70k (Yamaha Venture) and have seen several be way up there.

I guess what I am getting at is as long as the ride you get is comfortable, it should last a long time as long as you take care of it. Go enjoy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive got 15,600 on mine. Its an 07 classic. Mainly highway, Id say 12-13 highway with the rest being city. I have no problems at all with mine. I do run Amsoil full synthetic. I just had to change the brakes this weekend. Its been the first thing I have had to do to it besides oil and new tires. It still starts right up, idles like new, doesn't burn a drop of oil, paint is still flawless, in fact the guys at the shop a couple months back were shocked to hear how many miles were on it base on its condition.

My guess is if taken care of, this bike should make it to 40-50K+ at least...

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey everyone just had to tell you about a friend from work,he just loves bikes and would rather ride then anything,he has six last time i checked, he just can't help himself when he fines a deal. no matter what kind of bike it is.one of his bikes is a bmw sports bike he bought new years ago.he does most all of the work on them, this bike has 186,000 miles on it the only internal work has been to replace the clutch, and and adjust the valves.acouple of clutch cables.the rest is just a bike well taken care of, have to admit the motor is sounding pretty loose i wounder why? lol. just goes to show if it is taken care of ther is no limit. just wanted to share this. enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't have a lot of miles on mine (2900 in 3 mos), but when I was researching all the bikes in this displacement group, one of the things that caught my eye was the fact that when Kawasaki increased the engine from 800 cc to 900, what they did was increase the stroke of the engine (and not the bore). This increased the RPM range in each gear, allowing the engine to maintain a decent amount of torque at lower RPM's. Not only did I see a greater range for each gear, but a much better running engine overall. I'm not a pro mechanic, but anything that allows an engine to do that must have a decent longevity value. Kawasaki also has a very stringent quality control program in it's factory. This too makes for a better product. I'm looking for to tacking a hella lotto miles on Eljay....:D..:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts