Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i put on a new air filter last year. Ran fine. This winter I debaffled the pipes. Ran fine for a day. Then when I would go to start from 1st it sputters so bad it almost stalls and then finally catches with more throttle. So i bought a Fuel Processer. Hooked it up. No difference! Then I put the baffles back in. Still no better. Now I ran FI cleaner through the engine. Still not better. I just want to ride!!! Any Ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cobra pipes. Did play with the idle but nothing. The pipes have been on the bike since I bought 2 years ago and have never had issues before.

·
Registered
106 Posts
After you get pass the hesitation or spurtting in 1st, does it pull through all the gears nicley or will it sputter in all gears and at other RPM's? Or just off Idle?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sputters through most gears. Just till you get into it a little. Then if you back off throttle and then go to give it gas, it spuuters again like in 1st. So if i slow down, turn up a hill and give it gas, it sputters and almost stalls out, then fiannly gets past.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really dont know whats up with it, dont want to guss at it either. Sounds like its going lean off idle. I would try to richen the fuel enrichment with you adjustable fuel processor and go from there. Remember, lean will cause to stumble and stall, rich will cause slugish performance. Good luck

·
Registered
976 Posts
Also, run your VIN number to ensure you don't have an ECU recal AND check your battery connections as well as the connections to ground on your bike. Week grounding can cause weird engine conditions as well with the electronic ignition.

Sure sounds strange.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have you checked the plugs, plug wires? Not sure why, but I don't think it's a fuel issue, more likely an electrical issue. Really can't explain why it seems that way to me. Hummmm. I'm probably wrong....

·
Registered
295 Posts
I realize you said you drained the tank, but I put stabilizer in my old '99 Nighthawk 750 once and it ran like crap until I used that tank up. You still could have gotten some water in your gas with the new fill up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would definitely drain your gas tank again and put that gas into your car. Then fill the car. Your car can handle a lot more impurities than your bike. Now fill your tank with nice fresh gas, preferably 93 octane. I've had to do this on a couple of scooters we have that set for a couple of months. The ethanol in the gas causes oxidation in your jets and causes lots of problems. I also use Sentry gasoline additive in any gas powered stuff that may sit for a while. Sentry cleans jets, carbs, and gets rid of the moisture. Also don't keep large amounts of gas in cans because the ethanol in it attracts moisture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You were right. I took it to the shop for an inspection. The tech played with it for a while but suggested a full apointment. He told me he thought it might be the back cylinder firing wrong and i should check the plugs. I did and it was no good. Replaced both plugs and works perfect! I replaced the plugs about 10 months ago so I never thought to check it. Thanks for the advice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts