Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue to wrestle with windshield choices for for the 900C, I keep coming back to the Windvest. It's kinda pricey but it seems to get good press.

I realize there are other good choices; the topic of windshields seem to generate strong feelings either positive or negative. If possible I'd like to stick with one shield vs. swapping out sizes on the same mounting hardware. Windvest seems to fit the bill with its' unique design.

I know forum member Richard Kerr took a long trip thru Galcier earlier this year on his 900C with a Windvest mounted.

I'd especially like to hear how the Windvest performed at highway speeds - buffeting, protection, noise, etc. I'm a skosh under 5'11" and have the stock Kawi saddle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
winshield

Looks good but I would be wooried its so small the protection it offers would be minimal

·
Registered
578 Posts
With just over 20,000 miles in the year I've had my Custom with the Windvest I have to say it was the right choise for me. They are adjustable for height and angle, and it took a bit of time to find the right spot for the most protection, but once you find it, you are protected from bugs, buffeting {I wear a half helmet} and even riding in the rain my face didn't get wet. As Gort said, we did 5000 miles through Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada and California this last summer and the only thing that hit me was a hornet that got up my sleeve on my right side {stung my arm pit} nothing in the face and there were alot of bugs. Someone comented earlier about the possability of wind getting under the shield, yes it can, I solved that with a light jacket rolled up and strapped to the bars right at the bottom to plug the hole. I just wanted some protection form the bugs and constant wind pressure on my face and chest, I got that without being completely ioslated form the feeling of being on a bike. And I think it looks good too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gort,

I have a Memphis Fats with the trigger release system. When I was a kid I thought windshields were way uncool but now I know a lot better. I took a 300 mile trip the other day and whenI returned home the shield was covered with bugs that would have been all over me (some still do get there). I take the shield off and put it in the shower for a quick clean up. The trigger release is very fast and easy to use. My previous bike has a bar mounted shield which was probably only a third of the cost but not as thick, solidly mounted or convenient to take off and clean. You are about my height. See my earlier post for some additional info. It is important to be able to at least sit up straight and see over the top. When I hit instant fog the other day, I was immediately blinded for a few seconds. It's hard to stand up with the pegs so far forward so that is not an option. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cant deny the effectiveness of windshields...however they just take soooooo much away from the bike that I cant convert yet...thats why i want a half shield tahts smoked like the one i linked that offers decent coverage w/o making the bike look out of place

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Muchas Gracias

Thanks to all for the feedback - and apologies to Richard for my endless bugging via PM. :eek:

thehun - I like the look of that flyscreen. I'm curious to know if it gives you enough protection - check back and let us know. Some riders have mounted the Kawi cafe shield; it looks sweet.

SailorBill - I'm very tempted by the Trigger Lock of the MS line - a close second choice for me. I may go that way - especially if I opt for more than one size or style.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts