Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10 years of not riding, a friend bought a Honda Shadow. When I saw his bike, I was immediately bitten by the bug again and knew another bike had to be in my immediate future. After much shopping and reading, I knew I wanted a 900. I was leaning towards a Classic or an LT, but ran into a barely 2 year old Custom 4-sale in immaculate shape with several add ons and only 1700 miles on her. The price was a a great deal and I just couldn't pass it up. I love everything about the 900C, BUT for my needs, I find I'm slowly wanting to add things that will eventually make her look more like an LT than a Custom. For example; It came with a back rest sissy bar with a luggage rack and I've already added saddle bags and highway bars. It also had a short shield (Switchblade), but I'm thinking about adding a taller 2-Up shield to switch to should I want to take a long trip where I'll be on the slab for an extended time. I'm also looking at a Mustang seat, since the OME is not real comfortable for long periods for me and totally unusable for the little woman for even short rides. I also want to add a light bar. This is more for me to be seen by others than anything else. So when I visualize all these changes, I believe I will have pretty much changed my "C" into an "LT" with a Custom front wheel. :eek:

Like I said, I love the original Custom and I feel a little sad about the conversion. However I have to make this ride into what is practical for my own uses. I guess most buy what model they want in the beginning and don't have to consider a conversion. Are any others finding you need to convert your Customs like this? :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
AKgeezer, I share your conundrums.

I love the open look and feel of the Custom and is what attracted me to it. I have since looked at other bikes and found nothing to compare (except maybe the new Honda VTX 1300 Custom and a couple of particular Harley models, but their pricing turns me off straight away!!).

I go on long rides with my local Ulysses mates, who ride a large assortmnent of bikes from BMW adventure bikes to large capacity Metrics and quite a few Harleys. I have found myself looking at a multitude of screens, different types of luggage options, to make these longer rides more comfortable, but haven't found the right mix as yet.

I am also looking at a lowering kit, which may enable a shorter screen to work besides cleaning up the back wheel area as well as a 200 rear tyre to drop the revs a bit on the freeway blacktop.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
There is a thread here http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19343 concerning custom windshields.

I am in a simular situation regarding shields.

I have non detachable bags on my bike and like the "open" look of the front end. After a 3 hr ride the other day, i had the crap beat out of me. I have come to the comclusion that a shield of some kind is in order. I am going to go to a memphis shields batwing as i have one on my classic.

All memphis shades stuff has a "trigger lock" quick detachable mechanisim. On and off is 30 seconds. For the longer stuff i will have it on, shorter stuff, just take it off.

Same with seats, 2 up bigger seat .... solo .. switch it out. I you run running lights, they have to be tilted forward (loosen) before you can add or remove the batwing.

Word of warning ... the custom head light is smaller than the classic, so the look around the head light will not be quite the same. This can be "cleaned up" a little with the addition of a headlight visor. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whitey, thanks for your thoughts.

I have been looking at National Cycle's Streetshield and Streetshield EX, especially the EX as it comes with their 'Quick Set' mounts for fast removal. Several members on this forum have them fitted to their Customs.

I also like the look of your hardbags very much, they look like Mutasu MU's painted to match your bike. Very smooth indeed!!

I am considering them over leather look 'throwovers' as I don't think they suit the Custom as much as they do one the Classic or LT.

Cheers,

Craig D.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am considering them over leather look 'throwovers' as I don't think they suit the Custom as much as they do one the Classic or LT.

Cheers,

Craig D.
i have never been a fan of throw overs, they can scratch the paint work. The other day i was passed by a rider with throw overs, they were flapping (no attachment to the bag racks) around like elephant ears, if you want removable bags, get hard mounts and use "quick detach" brackets. A better option for long term usage.

cheers Maurice (originally from Alice Srings no less.)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your comments and especially your pics. Nice bikes! I'm feeling a whole lot better now about going in this direction with my scoot, after seeing how great yours look. More importantly, I know these mods have also made your bikes more comfortable and functional. I hard mounted my soft bags last weekend. I think it really gives the bike a much cleaner look not having the throw over yoke attached. Well, now I have to decide what to add next. I just can't afford to do it all at one time. I intend on keeping busy during the off riding season here in Ohio this winter. I would like to get it pretty much done the way I want it by next spring. But are they ever really done? Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've said I'm done sooo many times...

Now it looks like this:

...then there's the stuff you can't see. The power port, the pully, the processor, stuff mounted on the bars I need to get pics of :) My box of 'stuff I shouldn't have bought or replaced way too quick' is getting damned full.

You're never done. Until you get a new bike. Then you just start over :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Shaman, Very Nice! :) But where's the light bar? Just kidding. I like the chrome trim on the tank and fender. That's a nice touch. Is that difficult to get it right? Does the trim just crimp on tight or do you use some sort of adhesive?

·
Registered
89 Posts
As soon as I can find one to fit around that big ass shield, I'll probably put it on. As for the trim, go to an auto parts store (NAPA, Auto Zone, whatever you have there) and in the body section you get 3/8" chrome door/panel trim. A 20' roll should cost you around $5. Find a place to start, start putting it on, trim where you need to. The sticky is built right in. That roll should be enough to do both fenders and the tank.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought some chrome trim at AutoZone today. Came home and put trim on the tank in less than 10 minutes. What a difference! It's a matter of personal preference, I know, but this mod drastically improves the look of the tank over the existing bare flange. It really highlights the nice lines of the design of my Custom IMHO. It's rare you can find a reasonably inexpensive mod that can improve the looks of your bike like this. I wish I had done this a long time ago. I'm not doing my fenders as the mounting brackets on the Custom would break up the trim, but the tank alone is a great improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts