Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
New Vulcan rider here, and I’m hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I just bought a 2006 900 with Big n Nasty pipes on it. I really like the sound and power the bike has except they are just too darn loud. I know a lot of people like loud pipes, and when I test drove it I really liked them too, but now that I’ve taken some longer rides I find them too loud

I thought about trying to get quieter baffles for them, since I do like the rumble and deep sound. If I could find some. I was thinking about trying to get some from smartpartz.com if they have some that would fit. Do you think that would help?

Or I could just replace them, but I’m wondering if you think there would be a market for them? They are in nice shape and relatively new. I would need to get some cash for new pipes. I don’t have the originals.

Thanks!
Hip

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put the extra baffles from smart partz when I first installed the cobra pipes on my 900. The bike is still louder than stock by quite a bit but is a lot better than just with the cobra baffles. Install was strait forward. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Folks,
New Vulcan rider here, and I’m hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I just bought a 2006 900 with Big n Nasty pipes on it. I really like the sound and power the bike has except they are just too darn loud. I know a lot of people like loud pipes, and when I test drove it I really liked them too, but now that I’ve taken some longer rides I find them too loud

I thought about trying to get quieter baffles for them, since I do like the rumble and deep sound. If I could find some. I was thinking about trying to get some from smartpartz.com if they have some that would fit. Do you think that would help?

Or I could just replace them, but I’m wondering if you think there would be a market for them? They are in nice shape and relatively new. I would need to get some cash for new pipes. I don’t have the originals.

Thanks!
Hip
smartpartz would be a lot cheaper than replacing the exhaust I think .. worth a shot at least, the people I know with them are happy with how they sound

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked with smarpartz but the baffles they recommend for those pipes don't look like they would fit. I sent them measurements and pictures of the pipes and they told me that the pipes inside diameter is 2" based in their records.

They are 3.5 inch pipes with a 1.75 inch baffle in the center so I don't think they have the correct info.
I took the bike to a respected mechanic in town yesterday. He told me the pipes sound too harsh and that he is going to pack the baffles to see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't help I'll try to see if I can work out the issue with smartpartz.

The pipes are not slipons. I am not sure about OS2 sensors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just and Update for those who might care:

The baffles in the pipes had no packing at all. After the packing was installed in them the harsh sound of the pipes has gone away. They are still a bit louder than I would prefer, but they sound much nicer.

I think after I ride for a week or so with them like this, I will probably get completely used to them. If not, my tech said he can alter the baffles by welding a pipe in the center of them that will quiet them. Seems similar to what the smartpartz baffles would do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts