Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any trouble with their 900 Vulcan temperature light coming on? Happened to me twice now, both times at sustained interstate speeds (70+ mph) during extreme heat (100+ degrees). Both times, when I slowed down, the light went out. The first time, on I80 in Nebraska, it only took a few miles at about 68 mph. The 2nd time, out East somewhere, it took a little longer and I was down to about 60 before it went out. Both times I pulled off as soon as possible of course and let it cool off. I then kept my speed under 70 mph and the problem did not reoccur. Anybody else have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
53 Posts
is the rad full on fluid and with it warmed up and idling i would try to get a infared gun and see what your bike is running at. it might just be a bad sensor thats kicking the light on. ive ridden mine 90 mph for 120 miles in 95 and never had a issue the fan comes on when i stop and idle. try to get a temop measurment of like idling for 10 min and ill do the same and we can compare as lond as our ambient is simmilar it should be a starting point

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds like the bike is sending a message. I would check a few things before I get worried.

1st: Ensure radiator fluid is full
2d: Ensure you are using 20W50 in extreme temperatures as stated in the owners manual (10W40 is only recommended up to 100F).
3d: Make sure your coolling fan is functional.

If all is ok, I think your bike is telling you to slow down when its hot out. I highly doubt you have a malfunctioning sensor. I think you have a FUNCTIONING temp sensor.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Make sure the radiator fins are clean. Just looking at the visible surface may not be enough, you have to see between the fins to check if there's crap obstructing the heat exchange.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Has anybody had any trouble with their 900 Vulcan temperature light coming on? Happened to me twice now, both times at sustained interstate speeds (70+ mph) during extreme heat (100+ degrees). Both times, when I slowed down, the light went out. The first time, on I80 in Nebraska, it only took a few miles at about 68 mph. The 2nd time, out East somewhere, it took a little longer and I was down to about 60 before it went out. Both times I pulled off as soon as possible of course and let it cool off. I then kept my speed under 70 mph and the problem did not reoccur. Anybody else have any similar experiences?
When you pulled off to let the bike cool, did you look at the coolant level in the reservoir tank? It's located on the left side near the front pulley and can be seen easily looking from the rear tire forward. Next, with the engine cold, back the tank off a little so you can open the radiator cap and see if the fluid is right to the top. Has the coolant ever been changed? Finally, as another poster mentioned go to the coin-op car wash and take the wand and power wash the radiator both from the front and the rear. If this doesn't solve the problem then change the thermostat along with the coolant. The fan has no effect on reducing coolant temperature when you're at highway speeds, only when you're stationary.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I suggested inspecting/cleaning the rad fins but I don't recommend power washing them if you don't have previous experience in this regard. Clean, albeit folded over fins don't help heat transfer any more than straight fins full of crap.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
DO NOT "POWER WASH" THE RADIATOR !!!

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
AGREED!!!!
The fins are EXTREMELY delicate....if u do...keep the wand far away....and gently "mist" it clean!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Have you changed your coolant yet? It really should be done once every year or two. Maybe give that a try and see if that handles it?

Get a jug of distilled water and a jug of good anti-freeze and mix it 50/50, or for simplicity sake just buy a jug of 50/50 pre-mix. Follow the procedure in the service manual (you can buy it from Kawasaki.com if you don't have one) or do a search on this forum on how to do the fluid change.

Remember our bikes don't hold much of the essential fluids (coolant, brake fluid, etc.) so they need to be changed regularly. Personally, I change the brake fluid, coolant, and oil at the beginning of each riding season (then change the oil every 5,000 miles after that with a full synthetic). YMMV but that's what I do with mine anyway.

Good luck!

-John

AGREED!!!!
The fins are EXTREMELY delicate....if u do...keep the wand far away....and gently "mist" it clean!

I wouldn't even do that. Just a thumb over the end of a garden hose is all the pressure you should have, and I wouldn't even hold that close. I would buy a radiator / A/C fin brush at the hardware store, dip it in soapy water and scrub it clean, then gently rinse to get the soap off. Let it dry before running the engine to prevent nasty water spots and calcification if it gets hot while wet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This issue just happened to me today. I was riding between LA and Las Vegas and the outside temp was 106. Doing about 80mph, I noticed the overtemp led light up. I reduced the throttle to about 70mph and the light went off. It didn't come back on again for the rest of the trip. I stayed closer to 70 than 80. I'm due for service so I will be asking about this when I take it in. If I find anything out, I will share it.

I will also follow some of the suggestions listed above.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have heard guys on here talk about this stuff. Supposed to reduce coolant temp by up to 20 degrees. Haven't tried it and being that I don't have a good way to actually measure the coolant temp it might be kinda hard to prove.

Wetter Water

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You don't show what year your bike is, but if it's several years old and you haven't changed the engine coolant, you need to do that, as over time it breaks down and loses it's ability to effectively move heat from the engine system. Just as an aside, you do not want to use automotive antifreeze/engine coolant, as coolant made for cars contains silicates and other things that are seriously detrimental to motorcycle engines. The best buy on engine coolant is at your Honda car dealer. It's the same thing as your Honda motorcycle dealer sells, but at a fraction of the price. You just put it in without diluting it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts