Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back on 2 wheels after 30 years when I got a 900 Classic last month.. Been riding about every day. Last week I took it zig zagging all over Florida and am thinking of getting something bigger like the Nomad 1600 that’ll be more at ease (and quieter) on these long lauls, which I plan to do more of. My question is whether my limited time back in the saddle and small size (5’6”, 135 lbs) would make that a foolish move. Just trying to figure out options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually had a 1500 for a bit before downgrading to a 900c. I upgraded from a Honda Shadow 750 Aero after a year to a Nomad 1500. With how much hills and walking the bike to park I was doing, I kept feeling like I was 1 small mistake from dropping it. I did a couple times honestly, so I would recommend practicing not just in parking lots but elevations and other scenarios. Obviously more practice the better, but be aware it is quite a hefty jump in weight and need to be more aware with the weight and maneuvers.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
if you can handle a 900 then you can handle a nomad, and as far as dropping it, you will but just pick it back up and keep going, everyone drops em

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got back on 2 wheels after 30 years when I got a 900 Classic last month.. Been riding about every day. Last week I took it zig zagging all over Florida and am thinking of getting something bigger like the Nomad 1600 that’ll be more at ease (and quieter) on these long lauls, which I plan to do more of. My question is whether my limited time back in the saddle and small size (5’6”, 135 lbs) would make that a foolish move. Just trying to figure out options.
hello jim i've been riding a 1700 nomad for 5 seasons with the bike on it's side twice standing still with it resting on the crash bars ,no damage other than pride ,it took a little effort to right and i'about 5'5 180lbs

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you can handle a 900 then you can handle a nomad, and as far as dropping it, you will but just pick it back up and keep going, everyone drops em
So true.
It really tickles me when I see ads on Craigslist that say "bike never dropped". I'm like did you ever ride it or was it a garage queen?

Jim Dix, I'm also shopping for a Nomad 1700. Same scenario as you, just started back riding last year. I have a Yamaha 950T now and simply love the bike. Only reason looking to replace it, it gets very buzzy at 65 mph and above. That's not bad for short rides but longer rides it can get a bit annoying for me.

Yes they are a bit more difficult to maneuver in tight parking lots, but when you get moving there isn't a tremendous difference in that extra 150 lbs.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
is that Yammie close to being antique? If not now then it will be someday, If you can find a dry place to store it long term I'd keep it if possible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
is that Yammie close to being antique? If not now then it will be someday, If you can find a dry place to store it long term I'd keep it if possible.
No. It's a 2012 950 Tourer.
I've been thinking about keeping it. Only problem is space to keep it. Spent a whole day re-arranging my garage and utility buildings when I got it. Just barely had enough storage space. It's hard to turn around in my garage. I'll probably keep it for a while after I get the Nomad just to be sure I like it and make sure it is reliable.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
So true.
It really tickles me when I see ads on Craigslist that say "bike never dropped". I'm like did you ever ride it or was it a garage queen?

Jim Dix, I'm also shopping for a Nomad 1700. Same scenario as you, just started back riding last year. I have a Yamaha 950T now and simply love the bike. Only reason looking to replace it, it gets very buzzy at 65 mph and above. That's not bad for short rides but longer rides it can get a bit annoying for me.

Yes they are a bit more difficult to maneuver in tight parking lots, but when you get moving there isn't a tremendous difference in that extra 150 lbs.
I guess it depends on your definition of dropped. I rode my 900 for 10 yrs, 45,000 miles and never dropped it. I did however lay it on its side once when I parked it without putting the kickstand down. I didn't drop it, I laid it gently on its side. 😁

·
Registered
34 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of dropped. I rode my 900 for 10 yrs, 45,000 miles and never dropped it. I did however lay it on its side once when I parked it without putting the kickstand down. I didn't drop it, I laid it gently on its side. 😁

SteveJB - you sound like Bill Clinton when he was asked about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky at the time he was questioned, Clinton said, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. 🤣

BTW- I've done the same thing. Forgot the kickstand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I started around 2001 on a 450 lb. Honda Nighthawk. Really light and pretty darn quick bike once you've gotten past 6000 rpm. Had kids and sold it after 3 years.

Fast forward to last spring 2019, took my first ride on a bike in 15-16 years and my first ride on a big cruiser. It was intimidating. It was a coworker's bike so we met in a church parking lot and I did a few wide loops and headed out on the back road for a bit.

2nd ride was the next day and was on a Nomad I found, a good bit larger and heavier yet than the Suzuki above. The bike was a POS, but I liked the style.

3rd day 3rd ride was the Nomad I bought. It was awkward and I thought it was just the weight I needed to get use to. It wasn't a weight issue, it was the reach for the handlebars. I couldn't wiggle and turn it around in my yard to get onto the driveway without letting go with 1 hand. I couldn't reach turned lock to lock.

I had risers ordered which took forever and never came. I was refunded my money, but by that time I was ready to put it back up for sale. I ended up ordering Baron risers on Amazon and figured I'd give that a try first before I sold it.

Installed the risers which brought the bars back 1 3/4 inches and that did the trick. It felt like the bike lost 100 lb. Every time I stopped I felt like I was catching the bike weight. Every time I was turning it around in my yard from the shed to the driveway, I was catching and holding the weight. Bringing the bars back a bit solved it all. I love the thing and within the half hour of installing the risers I went from catching the weight every time I stopped to being completely relaxed, coming to a stop, and just putting my left food down.

They are big and heavy bikes and they are intimidating, but getting them to fit is key. I'm only 5'7" and the guy I bought off of was 6'5". It has a Mustang seat that puts you a little lower but also positions you a little further back. Just less than 2 inches was detrimental to me feeling comfortable on controlling the bike to being completely relaxed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started around 2001 on a 450 lb. Honda Nighthawk. Really light and pretty darn quick bike once you've gotten past 6000 rpm. Had kids and sold it after 3 years.

Fast forward to last spring 2019, took my first ride on a bike in 15-16 years and my first ride on a big cruiser. It was intimidating. It was a coworker's bike so we met in a church parking lot and I did a few wide loops and headed out on the back road for a bit.

2nd ride was the next day and was on a Nomad I found, a good bit larger and heavier yet than the Suzuki above. The bike was a POS, but I liked the style.

3rd day 3rd ride was the Nomad I bought. It was awkward and I thought it was just the weight I needed to get use to. It wasn't a weight issue, it was the reach for the handlebars. I couldn't wiggle and turn it around in my yard to get onto the driveway without letting go with 1 hand. I couldn't reach turned lock to lock.

I had risers ordered which took forever and never came. I was refunded my money, but by that time I was ready to put it back up for sale. I ended up ordering Baron risers on Amazon and figured I'd give that a try first before I sold it.

Installed the risers which brought the bars back 1 3/4 inches and that did the trick. It felt like the bike lost 100 lb. Every time I stopped I felt like I was catching the bike weight. Every time I was turning it around in my yard from the shed to the driveway, I was catching and holding the weight. Bringing the bars back a bit solved it all. I love the thing and within the half hour of installing the risers I went from catching the weight every time I stopped to being completely relaxed, coming to a stop, and just putting my left food down.

They are big and heavy bikes and they are intimidating, but getting them to fit is key. I'm only 5'7" and the guy I bought off of was 6'5". It has a Mustang seat that puts you a little lower but also positions you a little further back. Just less than 2 inches was detrimental to me feeling comfortable on controlling the bike to being completely relaxed.
Nailed it. I went from a 900 to a Voyager. What a beast. Over 900 lbs and slightly top heavy. I'm 5'8"/170 and very slight build. Tough to maneuver in slow traffic and picking it up was nearly impossible. Wrenched my wrists a couple times trying to keep it upright when it wanted to fall. FYI - 1 non-consequential drop after first getting it. THAT BEING SAID. That was a great bike. If you want a great touring bike, the Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager line is unmatched, except by the GWing. Comfortable, good power in the top end. Tons of storage (Voyager). And man, for a big bike, it leans over in curves real nice. Recently traded it in on an Indian Springfield, which is my favorite bike to date. The Voyager was getting just too bit for my old bones. Indian is 90 lbs lighter, but feels like 300.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nailed it. I went from a 900 to a Voyager. What a beast. Over 900 lbs and slightly top heavy. I'm 5'8"/170 and very slight build. Tough to maneuver in slow traffic and picking it up was nearly impossible. Wrenched my wrists a couple times trying to keep it upright when it wanted to fall. FYI - 1 non-consequential drop after first getting it. THAT BEING SAID. That was a great bike. If you want a great touring bike, the Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager line is unmatched, except by the GWing. Comfortable, good power in the top end. Tons of storage (Voyager). And man, for a big bike, it leans over in curves real nice. Recently traded it in on an Indian Springfield, which is my favorite bike to date. The Voyager was getting just too bit for my old bones. Indian is 90 lbs lighter, but feels like 300.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
I rode mine home 40 miles and dropped it on the road turning into my driveway, LOL. I'm on a downhill with a greater than 90° turn into the downhill driveway. I stopped and had the handlebars turned while I eased it into turning into the driveway. Down it went touching the front brake with the handlebars turned.

Luckily, if you drop the Nomad (Vaquero also, not sure about the Voyager) it just rolls over on the front and rear crashbars. Nothing else touches.

I don't like the handling at loping along speeds. I was out though riding into a thunderstorm so turned around and high tailed it back 100 miles to home. Ripping it on a twisty road it indeed handles fantastic. Just lumping along at 45-50 in 4th though and I'm not terribly fond of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts