Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Unless its pretty warm out the fuel injection system will always start with a fast idle that levels off once warmed up. Mine starts idle normal, then almost immediately idle revs up then backs down. Not sure what you mean about a weak start though.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's how mine starts every cool morning. It fires up, then idles a little slow then revs up to a fast idle for a moment. If you are referring to it CRANKING slow that's a different issue. But if it still cranks fast; well then that sounds like how it's supposed to work!

Some people don't like it but I do. Namely because my wifes bike is also fuel injected but does NOT have a fast idle. While it's better than a carb, it's rough when cold. Rough to start, idles a little rough, and is easy to kill until it's been running for a minute or two. A 'side affect' of the fast idle is that it's running a bit higher RPM so it runs smoother and goes easier when cold!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually to clarify the engine does start. It's also don't think this is related to the fast to slow idle.

When I press the starter button the engine produces this really 'weak' sound as if the engine is trying to start then immediately go to the fast idle. Originally I didn't want to put any ideas into this because I was more so looking for someone else's perspective but to me it sounds like something is 'clogging' the engine whether it's fuel or air related in which the engine tries to struggle to normally start.

Anyways I've added some seaform to see if this helps and lately the engine seems to be starting normally (ie fast to slow idle).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I initially bought the '09 bike with 1,400 miles just this past April and now has about 5500 miles.

So far I've changed the oil at a little over 3,000 miles mainly because I don't know if they maintain the bikes at the dealer. Also just last week I changed the air filter and added some seafoam. I haven't changed the spark plugs yet but I might do that soon and flush/replace the coolant before I put the bike away.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Replacing the spark plugs at 5500 miles is not necessary at all, Cras.

I wonder if your idle speed is set a little low? Are you running premium gas?

Good idea w/ the seafoam, I'm a believer of the stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts